Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best entry level DSLR camera 2014/11/10 15:20
Dear Experts

Until now I am using point & shoot but the picture quality is not as good, Decide to go for a DSLR
Could you suggest good DSLR, I want to stick to Canon or Nikon
My budget range is below 100,000 Yen (if possible including spare lenses kit)
I tried checking on internet but the model number in Japan are different so got confused as to which Japanese model the reviews refer too

My priority
-Best Picture quality
-Night time picture quality
-Weight
-Ease of use

Appreciate your help!
by kb (guest)  

Re: Best entry level DSLR camera 2014/11/11 00:31
Do you really need a DSLR? A high-end compact like the Sony RX100 is at least as good as an entry-level DSLR in terms of picture quality, and it literally fits in your jeans pocket. (The latest model goes for 80k on Amazon, the first one for 30k.)

Some random examples of pictures I have taken with it (on the two last ones especially, a standard compact would have failed miserably):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2Fksj-CQAAOFTH.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0dxBJ8CcAI2lgV.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B08-Sr2CAAAj_bS.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0dvRTxCQAAm3pd.jpg
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Best entry level DSLR camera 2014/11/11 01:29
Regardless of marketing and hype, the D70 remains one of the best DSLR ever produced.

They are widely available used and you should be able to purchase one in excellent condition for well less than $200 (\23000).
You can buy a multiple Sigma or Tokina lenses and you'd still be in at under \50,000.

Of course there are "better" cameras and ones with more features or that are slightly easier to manipulate but the D70 achieved professional quality at a hobbist price.
by CinJP (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best entry level DSLR camera 2014/11/11 08:58
The Sony RX100 may be good, but that's not what the original poster was asking. The RX100 has a 3.6x zoom, but no interchangeable lenses.

As for the Nikon D70, in its day it was good, but its technology is 10 years old!! The LCD is tiny by today's standards. It is also large.

Since it's a choice between Nikon & Canon, there are 3 current entry level cameras to consider:
Canon 1200D = EOS Rebel T5(US) = EOS Kiss X70(Japan)
Canon 100D = EOS Rebel SL1(US) = EOS Kiss X7(Japan)
Nikon D3300

The names of the Canon DSLRs in US & Japan are different and confusing.
The Canon 100D is the world's smallest ever DSLR. It's spec is similar to the Canon 1200D, or perhaps slightly better.

In terms of low noise performance, the Nikon D3300 is better than either Canon. (low light performance)

Overall, I'd say the Nikon is slightly better.

There are other options for higher end DSLR bodies, that still get you in under your budget, but I would be more inclined to spend the extra money on lenses.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best entry level DSLR camera 2014/11/11 10:47
The Sony RX100 may be good, but that's not what the original poster was asking. The RX100 has a 3.6x zoom, but no interchangeable lenses.

The poster didn't specifically ask for a large zoom or interchangeable lenses. He seems to be working under the common assumption "good camera = DSLR", which is not true for all but the most skilled photographers (and even then...).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Best entry level DSLR camera 2014/11/11 20:49
I really agree with Firas. A DSLR is a massive giant thing that you'll have to lug around, as well as all the lenses. That can really take a lot of the fun out of your trip, and you'll be spending more time swapping over lenses and rubbing your sore neck than enjoying the trip.

If you're not interested in looking at a better point and shoot (I took a TZ40 with me on my last trip and it produced very good photos), then look at a "bridging camera", also sometimes called a "superzoom camera". They're basically inbetween a DSLR and a point and shoot in terms of sensor size, body size and features, and have an inbuilt lens.

Some examples to consider (off the top of my head) would be stuff like Olympus Stylus 1, Panasonic FZ200, Panasonic LX100 (huge sensor), Sony H400 (huge zoom)... the list goes on. Just google "bridging camera" and you'll get a zillion hits.

If you are set on getting a DSLR, it might be worth looking at a micro four-thirds DSLR as they're smaller and have smaller lenses, but still great quality shots. Again, Olympus does a lot of those, and in a really cool retro style too.
by Steevu9 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best entry level DSLR camera 2014/11/12 01:39
The new Panasonic Lumix GM5 is what I would get.
by hitori rate this post as useful

Re: Best entry level DSLR camera 2014/11/12 12:34
"If you are set on getting a DSLR, it might be worth looking at a micro four-thirds DSLR as they're smaller and have smaller lenses, but still great quality shots. Again, Olympus does a lot of those, and in a really cool retro style too. "

Micro four-thirds cameras are not DSLRs. They do not have the reflex mirror that DSLRs have, so they are called "mirrorless" interchangeable lens" cameras.

I've repaired & used a lot of mirrorless cameras, and they are an excellent compromise between large sensor and smaller size. I'd recommend the Panasonic & Olympus micro four-thirds, but better with the built in electronic viewfinder(in addition to the LCD). Sony also make good mirrorless cameras, but have larger sensors than micro four-thirds. Canon have a couple of models as well.
I wouldn't suggest the Nikon or Pentax mirrorless cameras.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best entry level DSLR camera 2014/11/13 15:32
The poster didn't specifically ask for a large zoom or interchangeable lenses. He seems to be working under the common assumption "good camera = DSLR", which is not true for all but the most skilled photographers (and even then...).

I don't doubt that you are probably right about the working assumption that DSLR=good camera (which isn't necessarily an untrue proposition), but the OP did specify that they'd like interchangeable lenses if possible. That narrows the choices somewhat to DSLRs and mirrorless (half or which regular people equate to DSLRs anyway due to their body shape).
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Best entry level DSLR camera 2014/11/15 14:06
The OP wants to buy a DSLR. How come mirrorless users always need to jump in to point out the negatives of the big bad bulky heavy DSLR I wonder?
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Best entry level DSLR camera 2014/11/18 05:38
If I was starting from scratch today, Id stay as far away from Canon as possible. Their sensor tech is so far behind Nikon/Sony it's not even funny. The only area where Canon excels is autofocus performance, but even that is reserved for their more upmarket bodies.
Depending on where OP wants to go as far as photography is concerned, I'd suggest buying a lightly used older model semi-pro or pro body. In case of Nikon he will be able to use more affordable but still great lenses that have no internal focus motor. In case of both Canon and Nikon the control layouts will be extremely similar to their latest top of the line stuff, so whenever there's a need to upgrade the transition will be painless. Also the older camera can then be used as a backup without frustration that things are not in the same place.
by Companion Star rate this post as useful

Re: Best entry level DSLR camera 2014/11/20 11:31
Dear Expert, Thanks for all your comments.
Well I do belive that point and shoot can take some terrific pics if used properly, In my case its a different story, my wife I do not take good pics of her because I did not buy a DSLR in the past and everyone on facebook with nice bright pics are people who own DSLR, So you see I dont have much choice here

Now coming to DSLR itself, I checked out some entry model, Canon EOS 7i and Nikon 5300
Both seem good but I like Nikon
I read somewhere that the lense (18-40mm i guess) that comes with kit is pathetic one.

I would appriciate if anyone has any opinion of good startup lense for Nikon D5300.
by kb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best entry level DSLR camera 2014/11/21 18:09
I recommend Pentax K-5 II, it is one of the best cameras in its price range. For 100.000 yen you can buy it with two lens kit probably.
here is a review, you can easily compare with other entry level DSLRs here:
http://cameradecision.com/review/Pentax-K-5-II
http://cameradecision.com/
by mel (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread