Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is 'mite mite' feminine? 2014/11/11 12:06
Is saying "mite mite" feminine? I usually say "kore o mite." for "look at this", is there a japanese slang way I could use it.

If "mite mite" is feminine, then the same should go for "mate mate" correct?

I say "chotto mate" for wait a minute. I heard a japanese person once said "mate da yo" it is "mate" with the two particles "da" and "yo".
by Kisukeyo  

Re: Is 'mite mite' feminine? 2014/11/11 13:49
見て and 待て are completely different things! 見て is the 〜て form of 見る, and using the 〜て form by itself to translate an English imperative is indeed slightly feminine. 待て, on the other hand, is the imperative of 待つ. The Japanese imperative, unlike the English one, is generally considered offensive, and is virtually only ever used by men in very informal contexts, or in indirect speech. (待て is not to be confused with 待って, which is the 〜て form of 待つ.)
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Is 'mite mite' feminine? 2014/11/11 13:52
By the way, 待てだよ is grammatically incorrect, so it was probably said in a very infirmal context, xhere the imperative is usually used. What makes it strong and masculine is mostly the usage of the imperative, although adding だよ reinforces it.

Re: Is 'mite mite' feminine? 2014/11/11 14:05
(Sorry for typos, on my phone in a shaky train. :p)

Re: Is 'mite mite' feminine? 2014/11/11 14:56
By the way, "mate da yo" sounds like a master give the order to his pet...
Or when someone walk through the pedestrian crossing, his friends look a red light and say it?
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Is 'mite mite' feminine? 2014/11/11 15:45
using the 〜て form by itself to translate an English imperative is indeed slightly feminine

... and saying it twice, as in the title of this thread, probably even more so, by the way.

Re: Is 'mite mite' feminine? 2014/11/11 20:58
"mite mite" is feminine. "kore o mite" or simply "kore mite" is gender neutral.
"chotto matte" is "wait a minute" and gender neutral.
"chotto matte te" is please wait for me, i.e. when you are going to a restroom at a train station.
"ma-TEE" is yelled out when someone like the Police is chasing a criminal but of course nobody stops.

by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 'mite mite' feminine? 2014/11/12 12:59
I see, sometimes the feminine speech things trips me up.
by Kisukeyo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread