Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

meaning of ne 2014/11/12 08:44
I was wondering when I talked to a friend lately he would often use "ne" at the end of each sentence. He didn't do that before. What meaning does it have? Maybe it has a special meaning other than "is that so"?
by warabi (guest)  

Re: meaning of 2014/11/12 12:28
it means "is it" or "isn't it", mostly feminine though. I use it sometimes though... rarely.
by Kisukeyo rate this post as useful

Re: meaning of ne 2014/11/12 13:54
it means "is it" or "isn't it"

No, it doesn't. That's one possible way to translate it, which is sometimes correct but most often isn't.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: meaning of ne 2014/11/12 14:44
He didn't do that before.

he may not have interest on the subjects you are speaking.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: meaning of ne 2014/11/12 16:24
Basically the "meaning" of the sentence-final ね is "I'm telling you this but you already knew it". Saying simply 「いいお天気です。」to someone would sound weird (in a face-to-face conversation, at least...) because the person already knows the weather is fine, so they would be confused as to why you are saying this. 「いいお天気ですね。」makes it explicit that yes, you know that they know that the weather is fine, and are only saying this for small talk.

The opposite of ね, by the way, is よ, which means "I'm telling you this thing that you didn't know previously." So be careful with よ, because if it turns out that they actually knew it, they could either be offended ("Is this guy taking me for a fool? Of course I knew this!") or (most likely if you are a foreigner) think you are just bad at Japanese.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: meaning of ne 2014/11/12 19:21
Was your friend speaking in maybe keigo or more polite speech when you first started talking to them, and now they are just being more casual?
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: meaning of ne 2014/11/12 19:52
Yeah I think so. By the way I'm a western girl and he's Japanese. At first he used also the "masu" form and recently started to use the shorter forms of words. Maybe it's a sign that we became good friends?
by warabi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: meaning of ne 2014/11/13 15:21
Basically the "meaning" of the sentence-final ね is "I'm telling you this but you already knew it". Saying simply 「いいお天気です。」to someone would sound weird (in a face-to-face conversation, at least...) because the person already knows the weather is fine, so they would be confused as to why you are saying this. 「いいお天気ですね。」makes it explicit that yes, you know that they know that the weather is fine, and are only saying this for small talk.

Which is a long way to say that 'ne' essentially translates to "is it" or "isn't it", in the sense that it's marking a rhetorical question or statement.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread