Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

All in good fun, translation 2014/11/14 13:28
So I've heard Japanese doesnt have really have swear words, but there must be a way to say something profain. I want to say it in a funny matter, keep in mind this is staying within my group of friends and im not saying it to offend anyone. I want to say somthing along the lines of, "Woo vacation! bye bitchess~~" maybe somthing simple as "秋休みbitches!~~" would work but im sure you an just translate everything so it makes sense in the same context, so if someone could help me out, much appriciated! translate bitches or somthing along those lines! お願いします!
by 留学生!! (guest)  

Re: All in good fun, translation 2014/11/14 15:31
Are you sure you are a 留学生 ? ;)

Translations don't come word by word, especially when speaking in slangish terms. The point is what you want to say rather than the words you're saying. What are you implying through these expressions? Are you a guy or a gal or a gay?

For example, do you want to insult someone and start a fight or do you want to use these expressions to show how casual you are being with your favorite buddies? These are two totally different things, and therefore the translations will be totally different. Am I also correct to assume you are college student age?

Please help us help you by giving us more context.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: All in good fun, translation 2014/11/15 19:40
I mean it is a fun, friendly way. WIth buddies. "bitches"
by 留学生 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: All in good fun, translation 2014/11/15 19:53
What's the point if they don't understand what you are saying?
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: All in good fun, translation 2014/11/16 00:53
who says they wont understand. For all you know they could be japanese, part japanese, or in a more advanced level of japanese than I am, or all of the above. If you aren't going to contribute why bother commenting.
by 留学生!! (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: All in good fun, translation 2014/11/16 03:14
I think your problem in getting replies to this will not be a translation issue but a cultural one. While they do indeed have ways of using words in a profane manner, they don't really do it outside of anime/Manga. While your country can use those sorts of terms like referring to each other as bitches, Japan people tend to talk the same with friends as they would other people but at different levels of politeness. If you are an international student as your name implies then you will have heard the term お疲れ様 (Otsukaresama)? While that is the polite version it become shortened depending on the receivers hierarchy. My close friends in Uni would reply a simple "otsu" but "otsukare" to class mates and add the Sama for teachers.

I've never heard a Japanese saying similar to what you want so if you really want to use it I think a direct translation will serve you just as well (or badly) as anything people can advise profanity wise.

Anyway I'm not Japanese so anyone please correct what I've said. This is based on my years of experience with family and friends.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: All in good fun, translation 2014/11/16 06:46
The closest thing I can think of is 「秋休みだぜ!」

「だぜ」isn't vulgar, but it is informal and, when not being used to sound manly, can be used to add a kick to a short phrase among friends. I'm sure even then it still sounds manly, but if you don't usually end sentences with 「ぜ」or「ぞ」、then I think the manliness gets downplayed and the strength of the statement plays up.

At least, that's how my friends (who don't use「ぜ」or「ぞ」regularly) use it.

The most times I ever heard it used was all throughout the summer as shouts of「夏だぜ!」(by girls and guys) which is why I'm guessing it would work for fall break as well lol.

Like I said, it's not vulgar or a swear, so it's not at all on the same level as "bitches," but it'll probably let your excitement shine through in a similar fashion.

I know it's not 100% what you're looking for, but I hope it helps a little bit at the least. :)
by JBby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: All in good fun, translation 2014/11/16 09:27
Sorry but it sounds like a lame attempt at cross cultural humour which will probably fall flat, resulting in confused looks and forced laughter.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: All in good fun, translation 2014/11/16 16:47
Thank you for ur replies!! hahaha its fine if it sounds lame, its btween my group of friends and we are always trying to come up with funny slang btwn us. sorry if i came off as rude. thanks!
by 留学生 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread