Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

how to tell students I am leaving 2014/11/14 22:10
hello,
I would be grateful is anyone could help me out with this.
I have been teaching some Japanese students English at my home for a while. However, I have not been too well this year and need to take a rest. If I cancel a lot of lessons, it isn't fair to them, so I have found another teacher to replace me.
How can I tell them this ?

I want to say something like:
I am very sorry about the teacher changing. I don't want to inconvenience everyone by taking a long absence, so I have found another teacher. I plan to come back from time to time though to see everyone.

Thank you in advance !
by alex (guest)  

Re: how to tell students I am leaving 2014/11/15 18:25
I guess you want to start off by saying something like "I need to tell you something important about my lessons. Due to my physical conditions, I need rest (are you going back to your home country?) from teaching..."

Also, is the teacher you found going to teach at her/his home? Do you want to give your students choices, or do you just refer them to the new teacher? If you are going to give them choices, you'd want to say "If you want to, I have already found a replacement teacher for you." etc. It looks like there are a lot of things you need to tell them. For students, losing a teacher can be a big thing.

When you have the full text you want to show to your students, I can help with translation (I guess that's what you are asking for...)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: how to tell students I am leaving 2014/11/15 20:57
Thank you AK.
Yes, I will be returning to my home country. The new teacher will be moving into my house with his family.
The new teacher is excellent, very well-experienced and very popular with the students. I want to say that I hope they enjoy lessons with the new teacher.

Thank you for your help.

by alex (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: how to tell students I am leaving 2014/11/15 23:48
Then you might want to say/show something like:

"I need to tell you something important about my lessons. Due to my physical conditions, unfortunately, I have decided to return to my home country for a while. I am sorry about the short notice.
I do not want to leave you without a teacher, so I have looked for, and found, a good, experienced teacher if you want to continue your lessons here. The new teacher will move into this house, so you can continue to come here for the lessons.
If it if OK with you, I will give the new teacher your name and contact information. I am sorry that I have to leave like this, but I am doing the best I can do here. I hope you will enjoy the lessons with the new teacher."

I still am not sure if you want to give the students choices to continue with the new one or not (some might say they like you so they might start completely anew somewhere else), and of course I do not know (as courtesy I put in "short notice") how soon that might be.

Also, are you going to say it (I don't even know if you speak Japanese), or show it on a piece of paper? Or (since you are giving English lessons) try it first in English :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: how to tell students I am leaving 2014/11/16 00:14
皆さんにご迷惑をお掛けするので代わりの講師を紹介いたします。
講師の交代について大変申し訳なく思っています。
また皆さんにお会いできることを楽しみにしております。

Minasan ni gomeiwakuo okakesurunode kawarino koushi o shoukai itasimasu.

Koushi no koutainituite taihen moushiwakenaku omotte imasu.

Mata minasan ni oaidekiru kotowo tainoshimini shiteorimasu.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: how to tell students I am leaving 2014/11/17 23:16
Thank you very much for your help!
I have some good ideas now of what to say.

by alex (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread