Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

how to understand japanese conversation? 2014/11/15 01:18
konnichiwa minna san

im trying to learn japanese language by my self before taking the class on my final year in university.i can read japanese words except kanji. if possible i want to be able to understand japanese conversation like watching drama without subtitle

so my question is
- can anyone tell me how to improve my kanji?
- what is the best way to understand japanese conversation?
by sherry93  

Re: how to understand japanese conversation? 2014/11/15 18:39
- Learning kanji goes together with building vocabulary. You might start with simple kanji (like 山 = mountain, 川 = river, etc.) or might start with signs of place names (such as 日本 = Japan, 東京 = Tokyo and 京都 = Kyoto).

- That would also take time too. Dramas and movies come in combinations of casual speech (sometimes very colloquial and words are omitted a lot) and polite speech (closer to textbook style), and starting with dramas might not be the easier way. I suggest you take structured lessons using textbooks, so that you can learn sentence structures, so that you might start to recognize those when you hear some Japanese conversations.

Enjoy learning, and be patient!
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: how to understand japanese conversation? 2014/11/15 20:17
Learning kanji goes together with building vocabulary.

Sort of, but be careful. One of the biggest mistakes one can make is try to learn and remember the kanji for every word they know; that's too many kanji, too fast, and they are overwhelmed very quickly.

Kanji learning proceeds at a much slower pace than vocabulary building, it's okay to know a word but not its kanji. Japanese children know many words before they enter school and start learning kanji, and then kanji learning takes many years, during which vocabulary is of course not limited by the kanji learned.

And of course, on the other hand you should know (preferably many) with the kanji you know, in particular because it helps remembering their readings. For example, you know that "new" is 新しい (あたらしい), but what's the "on" reading of this kanji? Well, it's シン, like in しんぶん or しんかんせん.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: how to understand japanese conversation? 2014/11/15 23:41
thanks for all the reply, now i become excited to learn kanji. haha XD

Anyway, do japanese kanji same with chinese? and if possible is there any good learning website for kanji?
by sherry93 rate this post as useful

Re: how to understand japanese conversation? 2014/12/6 05:09
If help is still needed:

I learned kanji with the book RTK. You learn only the english meaning with that first, but it actually helped quite a lot when I started to read because it helped me remembering the word.

If you want to learn only via Drama it takes quite a lot of time. Some people tell you not to learn via anime or drama since you will learn a lot of "daily" language but let's be honest: that's still better than nothing.
I used kanjii.kohii and memrise for RTK btw.
by MarcelT1 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread