Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What to say to deliveryman in Japanese 2014/11/19 12:28
When the delivery man delivers the package to my door, what is the normal thing to say to him?
-ありがとう
-ごくろうさま
-something else?
by is203 (guest)  

Re: What to say to deliveryman in Japanese 2014/11/19 13:39
I say どうも always.
ありがとう and ごくろうさま sound good.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: What to say to deliveryman in Japanese 2014/11/19 14:02
おつかれさまです is the proper expression.

Otsukaresama is said to people equal to you (which I consider delivery people to be). Gokurousama implies it is someone working "for" you (suggests that you are "superior" in position to him).
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: What to say to deliveryman in Japanese 2014/11/19 16:40
おつかれさまです is the proper expression.
really ? I don't think so.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What to say to deliveryman in Japanese 2014/11/19 17:44
I believe most Japanese guys say どうも or ごくろうさま.
ありがとう is okay.
おつかれさま sounds like it's his last work for a day and you know it, so it's awkward to say.
by Japanese (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What to say to deliveryman in Japanese 2014/11/19 18:36
I also use "o-sewa-sama" which is a casual expression impying "I owe it to your cooperation."

Whatever the word, I try to make it short, because those people are very busy.

I also have to say that I don't really use "otsukaresama" to a delivery person. I understand what AK is trying to say, but the guy still has a lot of work to do, so it does sound a bit awkward. But if (s)he carries something especially heavy for me, then I might say "Oh! otsukaresama-deshita!" for that piece of little work.

If it's my neighbor collecting my chonaikai fee, I wouldn't use "gokurosama."
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: What to say to deliveryman in Japanese 2014/11/19 21:37
I use "O-sewa-sama" (as Uco suggested) or "O-tsukare-sama (desu)", but never "gokurou-sama (desu)" for the above reason.

Uco,
I have a neighbor who says "gokurou-sama" to me when I go around with the circular! lol

Re: What to say to deliveryman in Japanese 2014/11/19 22:30
ありがとうございます sounds nice to me.
ごくろうさまです can be accepted but it's normally used by upper class person to the lower.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: What to say to deliveryman in Japanese 2014/11/19 22:32
I think おつかれさま is a new word. I never heard when I was young. this is a strange business word which someone made.
when someone said おつかれさま to me, I always think "I am not tired. Do you think I am tired ?".

What is the proper response, if someone says おつかれまさま to me ?

Re: What to say to deliveryman in Japanese 2014/11/19 23:44
I have a neighbor who says "gokurou-sama" to me when I go around with the circular! lol

Yup, that's quite normal too!

Re: What to say to deliveryman in Japanese 2014/11/20 12:18
Yup, that's quite normal too!

Really, Uco? I find that somewhat rude, I am not his subordinate or anything of that sort...

I thought you said If it's my neighbor collecting my chonaikai fee, I wouldn't use "gokurosama." Oh, you are just saying that it happens, though you wouldn't use it, I guess :)

Re: What to say to deliveryman in Japanese 2014/11/20 12:20
ken-san,

You are just supposed to return the same phrase :)

Strange business phrase or not, it is quite often used by now. I used to think "I am not tired, hearing you say it makes tired" when I was far younger, but by now I take it as a just standing phrase, a conversational "lubricant," so to say... By now, less people use "o-sewa-sama (desu)," I'd say. Languages and their uses change over time...

Re: What to say to deliveryman in Japanese 2014/11/20 15:12
AK, I meant that although it's technically impolite, many neighbors don't seem to realise it. A lot of Japanese people use Japanese incorrectly (just as many English people use English incorrectly). Maybe "normal" wasn't an appropriate term. I guess they don't mean any harm, though.

Re: What to say to deliveryman in Japanese 2014/11/20 19:45
In business situation,
おつかれさま is for co-workers.
ごくろうさま is for somebody who works under you.

In daily life,
おつかれさま is for friends.
ごくろうさま is for strangers.

For example, if somebody is voluntary cleaning roadside, you'd better to say ごくろうさまです.
If you'd been enjoying sports with your friends, you'd better to say おつかれ(さまです) when you were leaving.

------------------

What's important is that ごくろうさま isn't always "upper class to lower class" word.
Most Japanese are not using these words incorrectly but we know which word is better in situations.

If you're seriously learning or interested in Japanese, I'd like to go read this explanation. choi_aboutさん explains it very clearly.

http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q12109432607
by Japanese (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What to say to deliveryman in Japanese 2014/11/21 10:57
Anyway, no deliveryman think it's rude when you say ごくろうさま(でした) to them.
I feel it's something like an abbreviated form of ごくろうをおかけいたしました though.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: What to say to deliveryman in Japanese 2014/11/21 13:37
I've never heard or said お疲れさま otsukaresama to delivery persons... To me it sounds more like a phrase exchanged among colleagues at a working place.
(Personally I do not like it unless being said to a person who is travelling or at the end of the day's work, but now it got common to use it as a way of "hi" during the day.)

I would say お世話さま osewasama or ご苦労さま gokurousama.
by a cup of tea (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What to say to deliveryman in Japanese 2014/11/21 22:54
what I feel strange is that, when someone returned to an office, he/she says お疲れ様 to coworkers staying in the office and they say お疲れ様 to the person returned.
I think the person may say 只今帰りました or similar phrases. and the coworkers may say お帰りなさい.

also,
when I called to my office from outside, a coworker, who answered my phone, say お疲れ様 first.
or, a coworker called me, he/she say お疲れ様 to me first.

I think お疲れ様 is the final word, when leaving the office to go home, after they have worked TOGETHER.

reply to this thread