Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to buy futon? 2014/11/25 17:01
I'll be visiting Japan soon and I want to buy a futon. I tried googling for shops but couldn't find anything. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy it in either Osaka or Tokyo? Thanks.
by lnight  

Re: Where to buy futon? 2014/11/25 19:13
When you are talking about "futon", what exactly do you mean - matresses or beddings (duvets)?
In Japanese futon means either or both of them. Kake-buton means duvet, shiki-buton means matress.
You can find them in most department stores but they are not something you can carry, they are too bulky and heavy. Do you a plan how to carry them home?
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to buy futon? 2014/11/25 20:14
Oh I see, thanks for clarifying. I want to buy both. I'm thinking of packing them in a box (maybe flatten it first, if possible?) and mail it.
by lnight rate this post as useful

Re: Where to buy futon? 2014/11/25 23:42
They can be purchased from most large shopping centres. Mostly - a large box retailer called 'Homes' is often a good bet. They can be quite large in size which means that postage may be as much as buying the actual futon itself...
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Where to buy futon? 2014/11/26 10:42
If you're going to buy a nice futon from Japan, I wouldn't recommend department store ones just because they tend to be generic. I got a beautiful new shiki-buton hand made from a small old lady with a futon store near my house. It was costly, but the fabric is very nice, and it is twice as fluffy as store-bought ones (though the more you sleep on it the flatter it gets just fyi).

There are local futon stores scattered in every city, I'm sure you could find one in either Tokyo or Osaka with a little help. Mine ran about 3 man (so 300 usd), but was made very quickly, and I got to choose the fabric.

Just an alternative to going to a department store or the like!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Where to buy futon? 2014/11/26 13:21
The price range of futons is really wide. Besides your budget, maybe you can tell us about "features" that you will want.

I suppose the most accessible place for tourists (and can't speak Japanese) will be a Muji store. If you're in Tokyo, you can head to the Muji in Yuurakucho where some (?) sales assistants will be able to speak English.
by hitori rate this post as useful

Re: Where to buy futon? 2014/11/27 04:20
I would just buy one or more covers for the duvet..and buy the futon mattress in your country..
Surely they make them there? they do in North-America, Europe etc.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread