Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Longest Katakana Sentence? 2014/11/26 07:18
Think of a Japanese sentence where there's a whole bunch of katakana words. Obviously kanji and hiragana are fine too -- I just want a sentence that makes sense that can prove that, in the right circumstance, a Japanese sentence can be made up of mostly katakana.

Obviously I would like it to be longer than コーンです。Please avoid names as a source of katakana.
by sabledragonrook  

Re: Longest Katakana Sentence? 2014/11/26 17:25
This question doesn't really make sense, any Japanese word can be written in katakana...
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Longest Katakana Sentence? 2014/11/26 17:34
Firas is correct - as "katakana" is a set of phonetic letters, while they are usually used to describe foreign names, imported words, technical terms, and animals/birds species names, etc., whole Japanese sentences CAN BE written in katakana if one wishes to use katakana.

What is it that you are trying to prove? It simply can be written :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Longest Katakana Sentence? 2014/11/26 22:07
I understand that any word can be written in katakana. But some words are primarily written in katakana. If I wrote あるばいと that's not as expected as アルバイト.

Rephrase: please make me as long a sentence as you can using as many loan words as you can (i.e. not 和語).

As to why -- because I'm writing thesis paper in Japanese, and I can't come up with a good sentence that shows a large amount of loan words.
by sabledragonrook rate this post as useful

Re: Longest Katakana Sentence? 2014/11/26 22:15
You're writing a thesis and want someone else to do your work for you???
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Longest Katakana Sentence? 2014/11/26 22:26
No. I was hoping to get people who speak Japanese to give an example of something they personally think of. Sorry, I didn't realize that taking a survey of responses is asking someone to do my work for me.

I just wanted some fun answers, that's all.

Re: Longest Katakana Sentence? 2014/11/26 23:56
Like the other poster wrote, I don't understand the question, not even at this point.

You are looking for a "sentence" made up only of loan words? That's impossible unless you're simply listing many loan words that doesn't make sense. In order to make a real sentence, you need to use verbs and particles and those must be in hiragana (in this modern time). Even telegrams are written in hiragana and kanji nowadays.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Longest Katakana Sentence? 2014/11/27 00:53
Uco is correct, you can't just make a sentence using katakana based words.

Words that are written in katakana are all nouns. The only thing you can do it make a list like - taxi, lion, appointment, mango, America, etc.

All pronouns, adjectives, verbs, conjunctions, adverbs,and particles are written with kanji and hiragana.

I don't know what you are trying to prove with your thesis but I think you're going to have to think of another topic.
by xbutterxcupx rate this post as useful

Re: Longest Katakana Sentence? 2014/11/27 06:59
Thanks again for the replies. Let me clarify once more -- I understand that particles and whatnot are written in hiragana and kanji, which is why I mentioned them in the original topic. Let me give you an example of a sentence:

アメリカ人はスポーツカフェでテレビゲームをしたり、ビールを飲んだり、ホットドッグを食べたりします。

It's a very simple sentence, all things considered, but it's full of loan words. That's what I mean.

And as for the topic of my thesis, this is only a tangential point. The actual topic deals more with international relations and generational perceptions in Japan. The entire thing is already written. I just wanted a nicer loan word-filled sentence if I could find one.

Re: Longest Katakana Sentence? 2014/11/27 14:53
Hi again.

So what you want to do is to prove how common loan words are in the Japanese language, to show how overflowed the language is by loan words?

Then that's easy. Your example shows only nouns, but throw in more loan-word adjectives and verbs.

アメリカ人はスポーツカフェでテレビゲームをエンジョイしたり、Tシャツにジーンズでビールをボトルごと飲んだり、ヘルシーにホットドッグをオーダーしたりします。

And I assume that what you need are sentences full of loan words and not katakana, because if it's the latter you can also use words like ラッパ飲み and ガブガブ.

Anyway, just take a look at random pages of your paper J/J dictionary and go.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread