Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cheapest way to get phone without credit card 2014/11/29 16:22
I'll be heading to Tokyo in a few months time and would like to know what the cheapest way is to get a phone(be it rental or purchase) in Japan without the need for a credit card(I don't own one).

I don't really need internet capabilities and just need a way to call and receive calls. Currently Mobal Narita seems to be the cheapest alternative but it seems that I still need to provide a credit card for payment when I collect it at Narita.

Anybody got any suggestions apart from Skype?
by LeonT  

Re: Cheapest way to get phone without credit card 2014/11/29 20:28
There this softbank prepaid service where you can buy a phone with 3000yen worth of credit. Can be bought with cash and credit topup available through convenient store.

The package can cost as little as 6+++yen to 1++++ yen depend on the phone model. Only call no data.Unlimited email for 3++yen/month.

Call charges 90yen/60secs. You get your own softbank email address and phone no.

Credit last for 60days and remaining credits can be brought forward if you top up before expires. Number valid for 365days from each topup.

http://www.softbank.jp/en/mobile/price_plan/prepaid/

Used to be easily available at softbank shops and DonkiHote but seems rare nowadays. Also tourist have problem purchasing it but some manage to buy. Try softbank shop in shinjuku or harajuku/omotesando.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest way to get phone without credit card 2014/11/29 20:31
Forgot to mention. Above info is for the 3G Prepaid service.

Re: Cheapest way to get phone without credit card 2014/11/29 23:58
The only place that I've found the prepaid Softbank phones to be available to people on visitor status, is at Softbank Roppongi. I've tried to help friends (on visitor status) to buy one from other places, but only Softbank Roppongi works consistently. It's located near the northern corner of Roppongi crossing.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest way to get phone without credit card 2014/11/30 16:58
Thanks for the replies!:) I'll definitely check the Softbank store at Roppongi out. A few questions I have are..
Do I need to produce my passport when I make the purchase. Also, once I make the purchase, is the phone mine for life? Also would it make it easier to purchase prepaid cards in Japan in future?

Oh, are there any other alternatives if I'm refused? Do hotel conceirges know stuff like this?
by LeonT rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest way to get phone without credit card 2014/11/30 17:27
Bear in mind that the Softbank shop is breaking the law buy selling this phone to you (if you are on temporary visitor status), so if they refuse to do so then you shouldn't make it issue of it.

While the phone is yours to keep, the number is only good for 420 days after your last topup (refill) so if you're not in Japan at that time the registration of your phone will expire. While you're in Japan you will need to top it up every 60 days, which can be done by purchasing a prepaid card at a convenience store.

Re: Cheapest way to get phone without credit card 2014/11/30 20:44
If you intend to keep the phone, have you consider purchasing a secondhand phone, i've seen them all over japan, and many of them also work on the 2g and 3g network overseas, but make sure they are unlocked so you don't have to unlock them yourself.

most international model of current smartphones will work in japan.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest way to get phone without credit card 2014/12/1 08:40
"If you intend to keep the phone, have you consider purchasing a secondhand phone, i've seen them all over japan, and many of them also work on the 2g and 3g network overseas, but make sure they are unlocked so you don't have to unlock them yourself."

The Softbank prepaid phone is your property (the deal works out to about 6000yen including 3000 prepaid, so the phone is about 3000yen, or a bit less) once you buy the package, so you might just as well keep the phone, as it's a cheap flip phone. There's no need or reason to buy any other phone.

You could even swap the SIM into your existing smart phone, provided it's the right size (the Softbank prepaid SIM is the standard size. You could consider cutting it down to size if your phone has a Micro-SIM, but this is a risk!!)

As for buying second hand phones, you can pick up NEW SIM unlocked phones in Akihabara(in IOSYS), many of which are not much more expensive than a second hand phone(e.g. less than 15,000yen)..... OR buy a DoCoMo smart phone and get DoCoMo to unlock it for 3150 yen. These DoCoMo smart phones can be less than 10,000yen new.

Re: Cheapest way to get phone without credit card 2014/12/1 08:44
Let me add, the SIM unlocked new phones for less than 15,000yen are the lowest specification old model smart phones, same for the DoCoMo cheap(sub 10,000yen) smart phones.

But there are bargains to be found!

Re: Cheapest way to get phone without credit card 2014/12/1 10:53
after I read the comment by .. (guest), I have searched some websites.
the official site of Softbank mobile company says they request the residence card and the passport for foreigners.
http://www.softbank.jp/mobile/support/prepaid/steps/contract/
I think temporary visitors do not have residence cards.
softbank roppongi shop may not follow the company's rule, and may violate the law, Œg‘Ñ“d˜b•s³—˜—p–hŽ~–@.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest way to get phone without credit card 2014/12/1 11:33
The only place that I've found the prepaid Softbank phones to be available to people on visitor status, is at Softbank Roppongi.

I've been able to do it at the Omotesando branch too, but that was some time ago.

Do I need to produce my passport when I make the purchase.

Yes, and you'll probably need your hotel address too.

Also, once I make the purchase, is the phone mine for life?

Yes

Also would it make it easier to purchase prepaid cards in Japan in future?

No, it makes little difference for the future. You could theoretically just get a new softbank prepaid sim in the future, but it's almost the same as just getting a whole new prepaid phone.

Oh, are there any other alternatives if I'm refused?

Try a different softbank outlet from this list:

http://www.softbank.jp/en/mobile/support/

Alt, rent a phone.

Do hotel conceirges know stuff like this?

I don't think most do.

If you intend to keep the phone, have you consider purchasing a secondhand phone, i've seen them all over japan, and many of them also work on the 2g and 3g network overseas, but make sure they are unlocked so you don't have to unlock them yourself.
most international model of current smartphones will work in japan.

The problem then becomes getting a sim card, and the options that offer voice tend to be more expensive over a softbank prepaid phone package.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest way to get phone without credit card 2014/12/1 11:39
Bear in mind that the Softbank shop is breaking the law buy selling this phone to you (if you are on temporary visitor status)

It is not illegal to sell prepaids to temporary visitors, they just need to record your place or residence. Some outlets however, have further restricted their sales to those who have residence status. Stick to the English speaking Softbank outlets, as they are used to dealing with foreigners.

Re: Cheapest way to get phone without credit card 2014/12/1 16:08
Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate them! :D

I think I'll check all the English friendly Softbank stores out when I go there.

I actually wouldn't mind renting a phone if it is less of a hassle. The problem is that the phone rental services I've found all require me to own a credit card which I don't.

by LeonT rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest way to get phone without credit card 2014/12/1 16:58
I actually wouldn't mind renting a phone if it is less of a hassle. The problem is that the phone rental services I've found all require me to own a credit card which I don't.

Oh sorry, I forgot about that limitation.

reply to this thread