Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can This Sentence Be Translated Two Ways? 2014/12/1 17:29
もしキャリーさんに時間があれば、おすすめのラーメン食べに行きませんか?

Maybe I'm just tired, but is that asking to go to the ramen shop that Carrie recommended or for Carrie to go to the ramen shop that the asker is recommending?

In the context of the conversation, Carrie recommended a ramen shop, but the asker has recommended Carrie to share food with him before, if that makes any difference.
by sabledragonrook  

Re: Can This Sentence Be Translated Two Ways? 2014/12/1 19:01
The grammar/wording of the sentence does not make it clear whose recommended ramen the two are talking about. I COULD say that since it says "o-susume," which suggests respectful expression, so it must have been the recommendation of Carrie, but by now the word "osusume" is used without really regard for respectful or not (has just turned into a polite, standing phrase) that I cannot use it as the criteria.

But now that you do mention that Carrie has recommended a place, so I would say:
- If you, Carrie, have some time, wouldn't you like to go (together) to eat your recommended ramen?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Can This Sentence Be Translated Two Ways? 2014/12/1 19:57
I understand what you want to say but I would say that;

もし時間があれば、キャリーさんおすすめのラーメンを食べに行きませんか?
(If you have time, let's go to the Ramen restaurant where Carrie recommends).

sounds more natural.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Can This Sentence Be Translated Two Ways? 2014/12/1 22:38
I think the OP is trying to J to E translate a dialog of some sort, maybe from an anime or something.

And, yes, as AK implied, given that context, the sentence seems to mean the same thing as

(ねえ、キャリーさん、)もしキャリーさんに時間があれば、(その)おすすめのラーメン食べに行きませんか?
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Can This Sentence Be Translated Two Ways? 2014/12/1 23:14
Exactly two way included but not natural.

if asker is recommending
(キャリーさん、)(私の)お勧めのラーメン屋(さん)が有る-の(-ん)ですが、
もし時間が有れば、今から(or今度)(一緒に)(食べに)行きませんか?
or
(キャリーさん、)今(or今からor今日orこれから)時間(が)有るなら
(or 今度暇な時(に)(でも))(一緒に)ラーメン食べに行きませんか?
とても美味しい(-ん)(-私のお勧め(の)((お)店))ですよ。

if Carrie recommended
キャリーさん、(キャリーさんが)以前(or前に/この前)
紹介して(or教えて or話して)-くれた/-いた お勧めのラーメン屋(さん)に
時間(が)有る(or暇な)時(に)(今or今からor今日orこれから)
(一緒に)行きませんか?(or連れて(行)って貰え(orくれ)ませんか?)
by crac (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can This Sentence Be Translated Two Ways? 2014/12/2 06:54
Hello! OP here.

This is part of an email I received from a native Japanese speaker with whom I have worked in the past. He invited me to dinner with his family, and I went. He then sent me an email with the pictures that he had taken for me, and in the email he also included the sentence that I posted at the beginning of this thread. It was the first sentence of a new paragraph, and no other part of the email talks about ramen. I'm basing it off the fact that while he was driving me to his house we talked about a ramen shop under a bridge by the train station that I really enjoy.

Just thought that might help people understand the situation more.
by sabledragonrook rate this post as useful

Re: Can This Sentence Be Translated Two Ways? 2014/12/2 06:58
Are you Carrie then?
by Seiko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can This Sentence Be Translated Two Ways? 2014/12/2 17:09
In that case, as implied, he is asking to go to the ramen shop that someone other than him, most likely Carrie, recommended.

But still, it is indeed vague, so you can also respond by asking

おすすめのとは?

Or depending on how close you are to him, you can also say,

覚えていてくれたんですか?

Or

ひょっとして、あのガード下の?

In any case, I can understand your hesitation. If I were you, I'd be afraid I might sound arrogant by assuming that it's the shop that noone else but I recommended when it could be something else.

Re: Can This Sentence Be Translated Two Ways? 2014/12/2 17:44
Indeed -- I don't want to sound arrogant, as if to say, "Sure, come to the ramen shop I recommend" when he may have had one in mind, because knowing him, he will just go along with it and be like, yeah, that's totally the one I was talking about even if it's not.

Perhaps something simple, like ささきさんのお勧めのラーメンか私のよく食べているのどちらですか。

I also contemplated just trying 私と友達は来週一緒に一番好きなラーメンやに行くつもりなので、一緒に行きませんか。and seeing if he agreed, but I guess that doesn't really get around the problem of whether or not he was originally talking about a place he had in mind.
by sabledragonrook rate this post as useful

Re: Can This Sentence Be Translated Two Ways? 2014/12/2 18:16
ささきさんのお勧めのラーメンか私のよく食べているのどちらですか。

This is wonderful, but you can also say instead...

ささきさんのお勧めのラーメンがあるんですか?

... sort of pretending you didn't understand, but if it wasn't what he was talking about, he would simply say, "No, I meant the one you recommended, Carrie."

私と友達は来週一緒に一番好きなラーメンやに行くつもりなので、一緒に行きませんか。

That's another great way to respond, because you're not really specifying about which shop he was talking about. You're not denying anything.

Anyway, don't think too much. It's only ramen :)

Re: Can This Sentence Be Translated Two Ways? 2014/12/2 20:13
With the caveat that I am not a native speaker, it seems obvious to me that he is referring to the restaurant you mentioned earlier. If it were some other restaurant he had in mind, he would have told you a bit more about it (at least about where it's located or what kind of ramen it serves).
by Firas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread