Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

where to buy very hot spices in Tokyo 2004/12/7 08:39
Does anybody know where to buy very hot spices from tokyo??
by mui  

Hot spices in Tokyo 2004/12/7 09:56
It depends on what type of hot spices ( Indian, Mexican, fresh or dried ). Most major markets carry. Try Meidi-ya ( Hiroo or Roppongi ) or National Azabu Supermarket in Hiroo.
by Steve in Azabujuban rate this post as useful

Thank you 2004/12/7 22:17
Thank you

I am looking for VERY hot spices. Your suggestions are good. Could you please give me more infos about those stores? Like what's the number or how to get there easily (like is it near subway)...

Thank you and have a happy day please!!

MU
by Mu rate this post as useful

Very hot spice 2004/12/7 22:53
Mu,

I think habanero powder could be classified as a "VERY hot spice", so that could be one to look for since it is currently so popular in Japan.

As for details of the shops mentioned, you can find the websites on Google.
http://www.google.com/
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Hot Spices 2004/12/8 14:53
Hi - There is a small Meidi-ya just outside exit 2 from Roppongi Station. Their large store is is outside exit 2 from Hiroo station turn right and 1 minute walk. Also National Azabu Supermarket is 2 minutes walking from same station exit 1. Lots of Gaijin so you can ask directions. Big expat community. Not sure where your located. Might be someplace closer.

Hot Spices 2004/12/8 15:31
One more suggestion. The Spice Market at Seibu in Ikebukuro. Wonderfuls selection. Us this link for a small writeup and directions.
http://www.bento.com/mailorder.html

If you have a specific area you would like to know, tell me and I will try to help.

aka-tougarashi 2004/12/8 19:11
If you buy dried red chilli (aka-tougarashi or taka-no-tsume) available at any supermarket in Japan, and throw in a whole bunch of 'em, it will be hot enough to blow your brains out.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Thank you!! 2004/12/10 23:28
THANK YOU!@!!!

Wow, so many answers! Thank you so much! I'll try these Roppongi and Ikebukuro places! thank you!

it's easy to go there, I live in Shibuya..
by mu rate this post as useful

Spices 2004/12/10 23:59
NP. I live in Azabujuban so Roppongi and Hiroo I can walk to. I enjoy cooking so the selection of spices is nice. I just wish I could buy Creme Fraiche' in Japan but no luck. I always have to make my own. Happy shopping and better eating :-)

Thanx and one more thing.. 2004/12/12 23:33
Hello!

I found this Meidi-ya.. very good shop!! I'll try out this Ikebukuro, too!!

By the way, what are very hot spices?? Can you tell me some infos.. I'm looking a present for someone who's crazy about hottie things. Does anybody know where to buy Habanero (???) seeds? These are hot ones..? How does these seeds look?

I'm also looking for a good recipebook of hot foods (that you can use these spices on some food)?? CAn you suggest any or where I could buy kind of recipebook (in Eng) at cheap prices??

Thank you and have a happy day!
by Mui rate this post as useful

Spice freaks 2004/12/13 00:10
If you're not just looking for "hotness" but are looking for a variety of "interesting" spices to please your friend as a gift, I suggest you visit ethnic food shops.

For example, in places like Shin-Okubo or Kamata where there are many Asian expats, there are shops that sell a variety of Korean spices or Thai pastes or what not. Also, you can visit any ethnic food restaurant like Indian, Mexican, Thai or Korean restaurants and ask where you can get some spices. Often the restaurants themselves can sell you some.

Most department stores keep a decent amount of fun spices and pastes, but personally, I prefer places like the store in the basement of JR Kamata Station (I hope it's still there) where prices are cheaper. But recently I buy my kimchi at the Korean shop and restaurant right outside of Yotsuya San-chome Station, a few doors away from the fire department.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Spices 2004/12/13 22:42
Uco makes a good point about asking at restaurants. Infact most "take out" only Indian or Curry shops sale spices or will refer you to a good shop. I haven't bought any, but you might check with Nissin Supermarket for Habenero seeds. There link is http://www.nissinham.co.jp/nwd/index.html
You can send them an eMail from their website to see if they have the seeds.
For cookbooks I would suggest upstairs at National Azabu Supermarket. They have a good selection in English.

Hot spices in Tokyo 2005/1/20 09:50
I know you can find this at the Meidi-Ya stores because my daughter-in-law just brought us back something called 'curry roux'(170 gm). However all the printing on the clear plastic package is in Japanese so we do not know what to do with it. Anybody know?
by Joan rate this post as useful

I love that stuff.. 2005/1/20 11:24
Curry Roux - this is fairly common, you can buy this in almost any Connivence store in Japan. I wish I could find it elsewhere in the world. It's used to make Japanese Curry Rice, and it's very popular - especially with kids. It comes in a solid (like a block of wax) and, when melted and mixed with water, forms a sort of curry gravy that you serve over rice. Kids love it, it’s as popular in Japan with kids as Pizza is in the US. I love it, when I make it, I throw in some chopped potatoes and veggies and meat, let it simmer all day – you can ruin it. It keeps for long time in the fridge. The longer you cook it, the thicker it gets. You have to keep adding water.

If this is the type of “spice” your looking for, then your in business. If your looking for normal spices then you can also check out some of the shops at the Tsukiji fish market. I’ve found shops there that sell all sorts of things that you normal can’t find at normal food shops in Tokyo.
by Suteebu rate this post as useful

spices and stuff 2008/8/27 19:31
I have been looking for an Indian shop selling Indian stuff and on inquiring, I was told there was one Pakistani shop in Ikebukuro in front of the BIG CAMERA, but I haven`t been able to discover that one yet. There are whole lot of Indian-Nepali Restaurants (West Exit), though, and not very expensive. I know there are Indian shops in Tokyou, but I haven`t found even one until now.
by mira08 rate this post as useful

Indian food shop 2008/10/9 23:28
There's a small but good Indian food shop in Roppongi, behind Roppongi Hills on TV Asahi street, opposite the Grand Hyatt. It's up some stairs.
by Yoyogibair rate this post as useful

reply to this thread