Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Duty free receipt without the purchase 2014/12/13 19:17
Hi so I helped a local guy buy a duty free product with mine in the same receipt and that is stapled with my passport.

What will happen to me if the customs check and I don't have the product?

Also can I just remove the receipt and the record of purchase of consumption-tax-exempt for export from my passport and put the items in my luggage to save all the trouble?
by Jmo (guest)  

Re: Duty free receipt without the purchase 2014/12/14 10:48
You knowingly breached the law by allowing someone make the purchase fraudulently under your name to save tax. If they ask you, and you tell them you don't have the item, or that you left it in Japan, you might be required to pay the tax that was evaded, with a strong warning never to do it again. That duty free was granted on the condition that the item would leave Japan.

Customs officers need to collect that slip of paper in your passport (because it is proof for the shop that they didn't have to charge you tax because you were leaving the country with the item), so please do not try to hide it.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Duty free receipt without the purchase 2014/12/14 12:01
Obviously you are not supposed to do that, but in practice they are not strict about checking these things when you leave the country. Unless you announce it, there is really no way for them to know you are carrying duty free items...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Duty free receipt without the purchase 2014/12/14 17:04
They don't really reconcile the descriptions on the receipt and the items. (This is different from other countries where they refund you the tax at the airport - in that case, they do need to see the merchandise AND the receipt to verify that description is correct.)

However, if you remove the receipt from the passport and pretend that you don't have any duty-free item, the retailer "could" have difficulty later. They will have their sales record showing certain items were sold duty-free because they were to be taken out of the country, but since you don't give customs that receipt, they have no way to substantiate it.

Maybe it doesn't matter that much, depending on the amount, but what you did was definitely not right.

At best you could do is to give them the receipt to the officer (as should be), if asked to see the item answer oh you checked them in, or something like that.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Duty free receipt without the purchase 2014/12/15 06:42
From my experience, the customs only collect the receipt, and do not check the item, may be they are not too strict on this duty free stuff.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Duty free receipt without the purchase 2014/12/15 10:30
No, its not strict at all, but that's an inherent flaw in the way the system is designed.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Duty free receipt without the purchase 2014/12/15 10:32
Hi guys thanks for the replies then do i have to carry the items in my handcarry or is it alright if i check the items in with my luggage?
by Jmo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread