Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is the name Emiko too old fashioned now? 2014/12/16 22:56
Hi,

Husband is japanese, we are expecting our first child, a girl, in the next month. We are in the process of choosing names, I have always loved the name Emiko, and husband likes Emi, I understand that Ko names are no longer in fashion in Japan and considered outdated, but we don't actually live in Japan, and I really love the longer name Emiko to the shorter Emi, is it really that naff? Thanks
by Sumi (guest)  

Re: Is the name Emiko too old fashioned now? 2014/12/17 10:48
I know a few JHS students named Emiko. It's true that a lot of the -ko names are going out of fashion, but who knows, they could come back in, and in the end it doesn't really matter. Especially if you're not living in Japan anyway, name your kid what you like!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Is the name Emiko too old fashioned now? 2014/12/17 11:01
Not to mention that Emi can be used as a nickname for Emiko. Looks like you may be able to have it both ways.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Is the name Emiko too old fashioned now? 2014/12/17 11:06
Thanks for your replies.

I feel the same way, but when previously speaking to Japanese people or ex-pats living in Japan, they are always pretty adamant that it is too old fashioned as a name and therefore a bad name to choose...
by Sumi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the name Emiko too old fashioned now? 2014/12/17 12:19
conservative people like old-fashioned names.
rich people like conservative and old-fashioned names.
Emi and Emiko is both old-fashioned names.
once you register your child name in your husband Koseki, the name can't be changed easily.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the name Emiko too old fashioned now? 2014/12/17 12:37
Which is more old fashioned Emi or Emiko? I wouldn't want to change it when it's registered.

We could register as Emiko in UK and Emi in Japan :)
by Sumi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the name Emiko too old fashioned now? 2014/12/17 19:35
Emiko sounds more old than Emi.
But not too old fashioned, many women named Emiko are living in Japan.

By the way, girl's "-ko" name are traditional noble name. All princesses in Japan have "-ko" name.
Sayako http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayako_Kuroda
Mako http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Mako_of_Akishino
Kako http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Kako_of_Akishino
People followed it in modern times, and it became too common and it's not fashionable today.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Is the name Emiko too old fashioned now? 2014/12/17 20:51
Who cares if strangers think it's old fashioned? as long as you like it and hopefully your daughter too ;)
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Is the name Emiko too old fashioned now? 2014/12/17 21:08
We could register as Emiko in UK and Emi in Japan :)
is there a special reason to register the different names ?
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the name Emiko too old fashioned now? 2014/12/18 05:48
I made a topic on here about naming my son as well and the nice replies reminded me that I was choosing a name that I wanted to show my hopes for my sons future not one that fit in with what other people thought was appropriate. I was told his kanji is like something from the Edo period but I loved it from the moment my Japanese mother in law suggested it could be used. so far we have only had very interested and positive comments.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the name Emiko too old fashioned now? 2014/12/22 07:44
"We could register as Emiko in UK and Emi in Japan :)"
I wouldn't advise using different names for your child in different countries.

What would your child's legal name be?
2 legal names, one for Japan, one for UK?

No problem right?
No one on this site has ever had a problem trying to fix their parents mistakingly giving them two completely different citizenship records with different names.
Think about your child and stop worrying about the fashion of her name. "ko" is fine.
by Jay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the name Emiko too old fashioned now? 2014/12/22 10:20
What would your child's legal name be?
2 legal names, one for Japan, one for UK?

This is actually an extremely common issue among dual citizens. Japan for example doesn't use middle names, so most UK/JP dual citizens probably have two different legal names.

No problem right?

It can be problematic, but it helps if the names are recognizably similar and not completely off the wall different. BTW, there are also some benefits to having two legal names.

I made a topic on here about naming my son as well and the nice replies reminded me that I was choosing a name that I wanted to show my hopes for my sons future not one that fit in with what other people thought was appropriate.

Definitely! Emiko may be a little older sounding, but what is most important is that you like it. And no one really goes by their given name in Japan anyway ;)
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Is the name Emiko too old fashioned now? 2014/12/25 13:38
Ifm 30yo Japanese. My name has g-koh, but I really like that.:)
by aotani (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is the name Emiko too old fashioned now? 2014/12/25 23:34
Both Emiko and Emi are very common in Japanese. According to this site (which lists top 10 for each year from 1945 to 2013),
http://www.tonsuke.com/nebin.html
Emiko: 10th (1947), 9th (1948), 8th (1949), 8th (1950), 7th (1951)
Emi: 7th (1972), 6th (1973), 9th (1974), 8th (1980), 5th (1981)
Reactions to either name are likely to be boosted in these generations. I guess it would be the case in your surroundings.
by Luisjp rate this post as useful

reply to this thread