Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Negotiating car price in Japan 2014/12/21 07:18
Hi all, hope your having a great festive period.

In Japan I'm aware where the price see is what you pay ie; in a Konbini, you wouldn't haggle the price for your daily food shop...

But in terms of car prices, would it be acceptable to negotiate car price/s? You are making a serious purchase with such an item so is it more in line to be able to table a offer as it as long as it's not silly pricing, or at the other end making a query over 5000 yen?

I'm hoping someone can shed some light, and if anyone also has any tips on car insurance in Japan would be brilliant.

Kindest regards.

R.
by Roughsmoke  

Re: Negotiating car price in Japan 2014/12/21 11:18
You can be asked for discount prices on some expensive goods such as cars, cameras, some household goods(especially fridges), real estate and rent.

For brand new cars, you can expect a 5-10% discount from it original price. It depends on car dealers. So you can visit several dealers for the best offer.
It normally you can ask the staff you want to buy the car, already compared with their rival cars and got the rival car price offer. You are ready to make the purchase contract if the dealer offers their best price on the day. They either offer you financial discount(5-10%), or low financial discount + optional service(ie, you can have a free car navigation system, car audio etc).

For used cars, you can't expect much discount. Used cars are already put and offer with cheap prices.

You can ask for cameras and fridges for the discount but large shops such as Yodobashi and Bic Camera discount with points card system so you can't expect financial discount offers(sometimes it can be possible). But it cheaper to buy at an online shops these days rather than visiting real shops.

You can ask discount on real estate easily. This is because buying a house or land is very expensive. For rent, you can expect a little discount(eg, 93,000 Yen per month rent to 90,000 Yen per month). It can be an acceptable standard.

For foods, you can't ask at supermarkets any financial discount. At vege/fruits stores, you can ask if you buy ten tomatos and get one free. If you are a nice looking person, it can be succeeded.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Negotiating car price in Japan 2015/1/19 03:51
Thanks Tokyo friend,

Yes will be second hand, but will be spending somewhat so hopefully I can get a good price.
I've scoured the forum for results on camera equipment as well so I know about BIC and their card system, and also Costco so they seem good options..

Thanks again.
by Roughsmoke rate this post as useful

Re: Negotiating car price in Japan 2015/1/19 10:52
Costco is especially good if you are looking for older model cameras. Not so much for current models though.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread