Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Charging foreigners more for services 2014/12/28 20:30
I've noticed that some small businesses, eg: restaurants and hairdressers, charge a higher price for foreigners. On my hairdresser's website the Japanese page lists one price and the English page quotes a higher price (2,ooo yen more for some services). I wanted to ask my hairdresser why I was being charged more but felt awkward doing so. How common is it for businesses in Japan to do this, and are they allowed to do it or is it considered discriminatory? Thanks!
by Jinx77 (guest)  

Re: Charging foreigners more for services 2014/12/28 21:46
I have never encountered it in 10+ years living here. But I have been charged less as a foreigners on many occasions, especially tourism-related (admission and transportation). In your case, I think it could be due to an out-of-date English version website.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Charging foreigners more for services 2014/12/28 22:01
If they really make a distinction (yes, my thought is the same as Uji's, that it might be an outdated website), can it be that they need to secure a hairdresser who speaks English?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Charging foreigners more for services 2014/12/29 01:05
Jinx77, how did you happen to "notice" that some restaurants charge more for foreigners?

I'm really curious as to how exactly that would work. Do you order off the Japanese-language menu and then you find a "foreigner surcharge" tacked onto your bill?

Are the prices different from what you expected, and you assume that people are ripping you off because you're a foreigner?
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Charging foreigners more for services 2014/12/29 09:51
Once I looked at a Japanese menu before the waitress gave us an English menu and the English menu prices were higher. It was in a touristy area. You are probably right that the hairdresser's Japanese price list just needs updating. She is the only hairdresser there (she runs it from her home) so I don't think it's a matter of hiring a staff member who can speak English.
by Jinx77 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Charging foreigners more for services 2014/12/29 13:07
Why didn't you just ask for the Japanese menu back?
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Charging foreigners more for services 2014/12/29 14:31
How common is it for businesses in Japan to do this, and are they allowed to do it or is it considered discriminatory?

I don't think it is not common at all. The few times I've encountered differences between the Japanese and English menu prices was because the English menus already had taxes figured in while the Japanese menu's didn't.

Once I looked at a Japanese menu before the waitress gave us an English menu and the English menu prices were higher. It was in a touristy area.

See above for a possible reason.

On my hairdresser's website the Japanese page lists one price and the English page quotes a higher price (2,ooo yen more for some services). I wanted to ask my hairdresser why I was being charged more but felt awkward doing so.

That is a pretty significant price difference. You should definitely inquire about that.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Charging foreigners more for services 2014/12/30 01:30
I had a similar experience in Hiroshima. When dinning at a popular restaurant for okonomiyaki. I think the place was called daiso, yess I know that's the name of a retail store. I can't. Remember the name but it was close to. The peace memorial, on the second floor.

U. Was told they have. A lunch special that was around 500yen. But when we went we were given the engglish menui and there was no lunch special on there. We did notice some ppl were served okonomiyaki on a grilled plate (which I wanted) but ours were served on a regular plate.
by flonie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Charging foreigners more for services 2014/12/30 05:56
Why don't you just order the lunch special if that's what you want? Sometimes restaurants don't have a fully translated menu. Always keep the japanese version too.
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Charging foreigners more for services 2014/12/30 10:37
I would have ordered the lunch special if I knew about it. We ate at the place and met a couple in Miyajima that I asked where was a good place for okinomiyaki. They recommended the place I went to. That's where I learned there was a lunch special.

When I asked for the english menu, there were no lunch specials or I would have ordered it.
by flonie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Charging foreigners more for services 2014/12/30 11:29
in many restaurants, lunch menus are not a fixed dish, it may be changed everyday.
therefore, sometimes they do not write their lunch dishes in their menus even written in Japanese.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread