Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hygiene Tips Please? 2015/1/2 20:03
I'm embarrassed to ask this. I am from the U.S. and am very clean but my hygiene maintenance is double for the average American .

I have a strong odor when it gets hot or when I sweat (very easily).

I pass a lot more gas than others.

My feet smell easily when walking.

My hair is longer than what it used to be so sometimes old hair comes out when showering/bathing.

My top two concerns are my hair and feet. I don't want to enter someone's house and be forced to where the slippers while my feet/socks give off bad smells. I also don't want to take a bath at someone's place and loose hair is in the bath.

One person gave me a tip like to put a small amount of baking powder/soda in my socks to keep them cool and lessen the odor and bacteria that builds up.

I know that people in Japan are very hygiene conscious and are much more sensitive to smells than other people.

I really love Japan and can't wait to go. However the last thing that I want to do is to have my body drive people away.

So can anyone please offer some good hygiene tips or habits that the Japanese do that I can do to improve my hygiene?

Thank you very much.
by AndrewDrew  

Re: Hygiene Tips Please? 2015/1/3 01:05
So are you expecting to do home-stay? If not, it's not common to take a bath/shower in someone else's home anyway. But if you do, you can easily avoid hair falling off by bringing along a shower cap. You can also collect hair from the drain as you leave the bathroom. If you're worried about leaving hair floating in the tub, you can bring along a net to scoop them.

As for your feet, you can carry an extra pair of socks to put over or change. This is still a practice commonly done in tea ceremony.

Similarly, perhaps you can carry a shirt or cardigan to put over as you enter a house.

There are also deodorants sold at drug stores. Ask for de-o-do-ran-to.

Hope it helps.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Hygiene Tips Please? 2015/1/3 18:03
(1) You might want to bring some under-arm deodorant that you are using at home (some say the local ones here are not strong enough), and if you are visiting in the warmer seasons, you might want to simply take a shower twice (or more) in a day.

(3) Foot powder and extra change of socks. (But unless you are doing a homestay, or staying mostly in "ryokan" where you are expected to remove your shoes, I would not really worry about this.)

For (2), just discreetly excuse yourself to the bathroom (toilet) to pass gas.
For (4), noone can really do (or noone really does) anything about it.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Hygiene Tips Please? 2015/1/3 18:03
Whoops, I left out copying & pasting one sentence from the Notepad where I wrote out the reply:

If you are just traveling, the only things that I would be mindful would be (1) and (3).
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread