Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

eConnect Pocket Wifi Data cap 2015/1/6 00:19
Hello,

I am seriously considering of renting 4G pocket wifi from econnect. I have a few quick questions.

-Their website says I can use up to 1GB per day. This mean I can use it at full speed until I hit 1gb mark within that day. After that I still can use it as much as I want at much slower speed. On next day, counter resets and I get full speed until 1gb. Am I getting this right?

-I will be renting it for 16 days. So in total I get 16gb worth of bandwidth at full speed. Sounds like this is the best deal for me since many other providers are capping at 10gb per month. Do you know any other with better deal?

-I will be driving around many rural areas in Tohoku and Hokuriku. How is actual coverage is those areas? Are they fast enough for using google map and browsing websites without any stress of slow speed.

Thank you!!
by Sitti01  

Re: eConnect Pocket Wifi Data cap 2015/1/6 11:34
-Their website says I can use up to 1GB per day. This mean I can use it at full speed until I hit 1gb mark within that day. After that I still can use it as much as I want at much slower speed. On next day, counter resets and I get full speed until 1gb. Am I getting this right?

Yes, but note that the restricted speed may be virtually unusable for some applications.

-I will be renting it for 16 days. So in total I get 16gb worth of bandwidth at full speed. Sounds like this is the best deal for me since many other providers are capping at 10gb per month. Do you know any other with better deal?

Yes, that seems to be the case. Note that 1gb is actually fairly difficult to hit unless you are doing large amounts of video streaming. So a 10gb capped plan may potentially be a better deal depending on how it is priced.

-I will be driving around many rural areas in Tohoku and Hokuriku. How is actual coverage is those areas? Are they fast enough for using google map and browsing websites without any stress of slow speed.

Y!mobile's coverage is good around the major city centers but Tohoku and Hokuriku may have relatively spotty service and areas where you drop down to slower 3g service or no service at all, especially once you get into the mountainous areas. Whether the speeds are fast enough for you depends on what you are used to, and you'll probably find the restricted speeds (if you get hit by them) unbearably slow and unusable.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: eConnect Pocket Wifi Data cap 2015/1/6 11:36
If you will be spending a lot of time in rural areas then consider the slower, more restricted docomo network pocket wifi from econnect. It will have better national coverage, but at slower capped speeds.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: eConnect Pocket Wifi Data cap 2015/1/7 01:52
Thank you for your advises:-) I think I will go with 4G wifi.
by Sitti01 rate this post as useful

Re: eConnect Pocket Wifi Data cap 2015/1/7 02:21
I had a 100MB/day eConnect SIM card during my lastest trip, and when I had exhausted the 100MB the speed decreased to zero (instead of the advertised 128kbps). I mean really zero, even loading simple web pages like those of this site took literally forever (i.e., it never finished).
by Firas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread