Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to find a mop 2015/1/7 10:14
I've been looking in big supermarkets, home stores (such as Nitori, Ikea, Muji) and 100 yen stores and have never found a simple mop and bucket set. Buckets alone are easy, but not ones for wringing out mops in as mops themselves appear to be elusive. The closest I've come is a sponge on a short rod, which will not serve its purpose when I need to clean a large area and not be down on my hands and knees the entire time. Either I've been too caught up in whirlwinds of paperwork, appointments, buying things, building things and setting up deliveries at the moment to even notice a mop when I see one, or they are a rare and mythical device in Japan. Does anyone know where I can find one? If you're going to mention one of the places where I've already been, please do mention the specific store. e.g. Mizonokuchi store. For the home stores, I've been to Azamino Nitori (Kouhoku New Town), Kouhoku Ikea and a Jiyugaoka Muji.
by Hapa Honey  

Re: Where to find a mop 2015/1/7 10:57
I found mine at Cainz if there's one in your area. They have some different options, but the one I got is this one: http://www.cainz.com/shop/g/g4936695593908/
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Where to find a mop 2015/1/7 10:58
Mops aren't too difficult to find, I think you're just looking in the wrong place. Strangely the supermarkets don't seem to carry mops in my area either, but try hardware/DIY/home centers like Sekichu, Cainz, Viva Home, Komeri which should each carry several different types. Right now the microfiber mop with the spinning bucket dryer is popular. FYI, Nitori, Ikea and Muji which are more home furnishing stores than home centers. They do carry some cleaning supplies, but usually not the really heavy duty cleaning stuff.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Where to find a mop 2015/1/7 10:59
BTW, The spinning bucket type that I was trying to describe is the one that scarreddragon linked too.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Just a note 2015/1/7 19:10
As suggested, you need to go to a "home center" where you can find any sort of carpenting material as well as some everyday goods. And just so that you'd know, it's not strange that mops aren't sold in supermarkets.

The Japanese generally don't use mops at home. We use "zoukin" (rags) and wipe the floor crouching. For most of us, there's nothing more practical than the zoukin. You can use it for any sort of cleaning work.

Mops are for floors in places like office buildings where people walk around in shoes. At home, even the genkan is cleaned with a tawashi, not a mop. That said, some people rent mops once in a while from Duskin cleaning service.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Where to find a mop 2015/1/7 23:54
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Where to find a mop 2015/1/8 00:23
be careful that most of floors in apartments are not waterproofing.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to find a mop 2015/1/8 12:52
Thank you for all the helpful replies.

Unfortunately, a lot of the places seem really far away from where I live, so I guess I'll have to order online.

I am actually mainly looking for a mop to clean our balcony because our neighbour's cat keeps peeing on it... but that's another issue.
by Hapa Honey rate this post as useful

Re: Where to find a mop 2015/1/8 15:12
Not that I deny the mop at all, but locals would typically clean their peed balconies with a broom for exterior use.
https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E7%8C%AB%E3%82%88%E3%81%91&hl=ja&rl...

Short brooms are sold everywhere, and if it's plastic you don't have to worry about pee soaking into it. Besides, they're easier to dry even in the damp climate of Japan.

Locals would spread water on the balcony, perhaps sprinkle some detergent on it, and then sweep it with the broom and rince it with water.

Again, brooms can be used in all kinds of ways such as for sweeping dust and fallen leaves. Waste collection sites for apartments are usually cleaned with brooms. Anyway, it's up to you.

As for the cat, perhaps you can prevent it from coming in by using neko-yoke (cat-avoiding) goods such as these.
https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E7%8C%AB%E3%82%88%E3%81%91&hl=ja&rl...

These are usually sold at home centers and gardening shops too, which are more often seen in the suburbs. Actually though, shown below is a map of home centers in central Tokyo. You might want to visit one some time to see what options you have for your life in Japan.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=znvGzbMfs_-M.kt-cDrXUZG5Y&hl=...

You can also talk/write to your apartment's kanri-kumiai (association board) to see if they can post or send a letter to the residents to watch out for their pets. You can remain anonymous that way.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Where to find a mop 2015/1/8 18:14
if you specify the nearest train station from your home, someone will tell you the nearest home center.

you say kohoku newtown and azamino nitori. あざみ野ニトリ,港北ニュータウン店.
there is a home center konan, コーナン, about 1 km East from Azamino Nitori on route 102.
コーナン 港北ニュータウン店

there is another Konan home center near center minami station.

by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to find a mop 2015/1/8 23:32
You can sweep balcony using "dekki-brush" if drain installed aside.
http://www.nitori-net.jp/shop/goods/goods.aspx?goods=8580308

Bring water in a basket, sweep balcony using the "dekki-brush", wash and drain then.
"Dekki-brash" can be found at supermarkets, home centers around 800 Yen. You can buy a basket at 100 Yen shops.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Where to find a mop 2015/1/9 07:02
Buy "Neko yoke[猫よけ]" spray first.
http://www.akashi-diet.com/blog/IMG_3359.jpg
by Jerry (guest) rate this post as useful

mop with a replaceable head 2015/1/9 16:21
Now you do want a mop with a replaceable head; they’re easy to wash and maintain. I have a bunch of mopheads as I clean up after animals and I love being able to take off the head, pop it in the laundry and meanwhile screw on another ― clean ― mop head.

If that’s not that important to you and you don’t mind a bit of work and soaking, then you cn buy an old fashioned mop: wooden stick with mop permanently attached to it.

If you want to go for the replaceable kind, go to a dollar store. In the household aisles they will sell sticks or handles. Usually these are made from black plastic.

Next to them you’ll find broom heads and mop heads. Buy a couple of mop heads and you’re done.

If you absolutely want a brand mop handle, pick up one of these cheap dollar store mop heads. They have the standard fit. Take it with you when you go shopping for a brand mop handle. Try if the cheap standard size fit mop head fits on the mop handle you want to buy and only buy a handle that can accept standard fit mop heads.
by rikimilton rate this post as useful

reply to this thread