Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Plug 2015/1/8 23:59
I bought a rice cooker in Japan for use in the UK. I changed the original plug to a UK three pin plug but the fuse blew when I put it on. I have since been advised that I need to use an adaptor and or converter. Would I need to change the plug back to the original Japanese plug? The problem is I have disposed of the original plug. Where can I get an replacement or is there any other way to get my rice cooker to work in the UK?
by Kelly Lee (guest)  

Re: Japanese Plug 2015/1/9 10:16
I changed the original plug to a UK three pin plug but the fuse blew when I put it on.

Yea, bad idea as you found out. The Japanese electrical network is 100 volts compared to the UK's 230 volts, basically guaranteeing damage when you plug in your device. Worst case you could have started an electrical fire.

Now that the damage is done you have to figure out if your device is salvageable. Hopefully it really was just a fuse that blew and you didn't fry the electronics. If it's just a fuse then you should be able to just change that and then get a step down CONVERTER (not an adapter) to place in between your device and the outlet. Typically the converters have have a UK male plug and a JP outlet, but since you no longer have the plug it may be easier to pick up a female UK to male JP plug ADAPTER to place in between the rice cooker and the converter.

If you blew the electronics then you're probably better off scrapping the device and looking for a rice cooker model made specifically for the UK instead.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Plug 2015/1/9 11:42
You need both adapter(BF adapter) and transformer if the rice cooker is designed for domestic standard. You only need an adapter(BF adapter) if the rice cooker is designed for oversea use.

Rice cooker - Transformer - Plug Adapter - Power in UK(for domestic rice cooker)

Rice cooker - Plug Adapter - Power in UK(international Rice cooker)
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Plug 2015/1/9 12:54
1st thing, pls confirm that your rice cooker can be use in UK, power supply 240V. Japan is 110V. Pls show/write.

If it is 110, then you will need a step-up (110V to 240V) transformer with proper wattage rating.

If it does with 240V then maybe there is some problem with your wiring of cable to plug.

Again as mentioned above maybe the electronic got fried when fuse blow, maybe not.

Always double check the power rating before buying electrical goods from overseas.

Good luck.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Plug 2015/1/9 13:17
If it is 110, then you will need a step-up (110V to 240V) transformer with proper wattage rating.

Presumably you mean a step-down transformer to change 230V mains DOWN to 100V for the rice cooker.

Re: Japanese Plug 2015/1/9 18:40
Thank you so much everyone. The rice cooker has a built in clock which is still working so it may be ok. So the rice cooker, which I believe is for domastic use in Japan now has an UK three pin plug. Can I still use a female UK to male JP plug converter or do I have to hunt for a plug for domastic use in Japan, change it and then find a converter?
by Kelly Lee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Plug 2015/1/9 19:36
That's a good sign that the clock is working, but is that when plugged in or does it run even if not plugged in? Because some have clocks that run off an internal battery.

The next thing to find is the rating of the device in watts. Then you'll need a transformer/converter that is rated higher than that. Something like this 1000 watt Step up/down converter here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goldsource-ST-1000-1000-Voltage-Converter/dp/B...

Note that it is fairly large and expensive. A stepdown only model may be smaller and cheaper if you can find one.

Then you'll also need a plug adapter like this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubuy-Vsupply-travel-suitable-Canada-Mexico/dp/...

or a new plug like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/wire-North-American-mains-electricity/dp/B001D...

Re: Japanese Plug 2015/1/9 20:50
Thank you so much for your help. The clock on the rice cooker is working when not plugged in. I shall follow your instructions and purchase a plug adaptor and converter and hope that it works.

Re: Japanese Plug 2015/1/10 20:52
Please check for any labels on the power rating, whether it states 100-250V/100V or 230-250V.

with it stating only 100V, a step down transformer/convertor is needed, and a good quality one that will support enough power, do not go for those cheap ones, that are only good for small low power electrical goods.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Plug 2015/1/10 21:49
I have checked, it says 100V 1210W. So it is a step down transformer that I need. Is it advisable to change the the existing UK three pin plug to a North American plug or just use an adaptor and than the converter?

Re: Japanese Plug 2015/1/10 22:05
All you need is a step down convertor, since I've been away from the UK many year, I cannot advice where to get a good quality one, but you can try radio shack, but do check whether the convertor supports high wattage appliances.

convertors are available for japan or UK plug type, check what is suitable for your connector.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Plug 2015/1/11 01:03
The clock on the rice cooker is working when not plugged in.

I'm undecided if this is a good sign or not. Did you find the blown fuse on the rice cooker and replaced that yet? Can you describe how the rice cooker failed when you plugged it in? Consider purchasing a transformer somewhere with a good return policy since there is the chance that the rice cooker is dead and the transformers are expensive.

I have checked, it says 100V 1210W. So it is a step down transformer that I need.

Yes, and try to get one rated to 1500W.
Is it advisable to change the the existing UK three pin plug to a North American plug or just use an adaptor and than the converter?

Personally I would go this route. It's pretty much just as easy and will be more solid of a connection.

reply to this thread