Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Painting in public and conversations? 2015/1/12 13:23
Hello, I am a painter planning to visit japan and I would like to know if it would be weird if I were to find a public place to sit (like parks or stairs) and paint the view (with watercolours on a small sketchbook). Filling a sketchbook is pretty much my goal with my travel and I would very much enjoy if I could paint while in the place rather than having to paint from memory/photos.
Also I would like to know if it would be too weird to start conversations with people in public. I often like to sit by elders and talk to them while drawing, not sure how this could work in japan. I am mainly worried of how intimidating I would be, being a heavily muscular 6 feet woman lmao
by 5019  

Re: Painting in public and conversations? 2015/1/12 13:49
Hello, I am a painter planning to visit japan and I would like to know if it would be weird if I were to find a public place to sit (like parks or stairs) and paint the view (with watercolours on a small sketchbook).

Not at all, especially around touristy areas. It's a pretty common sight actually.

Also I would like to know if it would be too weird to start conversations with people in public.

In Japanese no problem. You may even have people coming up to you wanting to converse. If you don't speak Japanese you may still be able to converse with those around you with the regular difficulties of course.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Painting in public and conversations? 2015/1/12 14:05
Yes, both actions are very common here in Japan, and people who draw or perform don't need words to communicate. Just go ahead and communicate with your drawings. That's what I always do whenever I travel, even though I'm not a painter :)
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Painting in public and conversations? 2015/1/12 15:19
You can do so in public spaces. You may ask to leave if you are in private places and the Imperial palace garden.
Visitors often come and see what you are drawing but they normally don't ask what you are doing this is because you are concentration on your drawing. You can chat with them if you don't mind they will probably enjoy chatting with you.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Painting in public and conversations? 2015/1/13 01:42
I've seen a few in parks around japan during my visit.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread