Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What is my Chinese name in proper Japanese? 2015/1/18 12:37
Konichiwa minna San! I'm curious as to how or what my surname would be in Japanese. My chinese name given at birth is 黄耀豪 . Surname is 黄(yellow) while 耀豪(hero or fighter or warrior based on my parents explanation!) is the second name.

I read up that kou/こう is yellow and kiiro/きいろ is yellow colour in Japanese but it doesn't seem to be a surname! Could someone help out here? Thanks 😁
by Ethan (guest)  

Re: What is my Chinese name in proper Japanese? 2015/1/18 13:27
Hi :)

When people with Chinese-kanji names come to Japan, they would either (1) pronounce the name as it is in the original language, or (2) adopt the Japanese pronunciation of the same kanji.

So I know someone living in Japan whose family name is 黄, and he simply goes as ホアン (pronounced ho-a-n) in katakana. This is (1).

If you go (2), it would be "Ou." This is the reading of the kanji 黄 in Japanese as you found out. You would not change it to "ki-iro."
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: What is my Chinese name in proper Japanese? 2015/1/18 14:02
There is a Taiwan restaurant "黄さんの家"(Kou san no ie; Mr.Kou's house).

黄色(kiiro) is read by kun'yomi, this of reading is not used to read Chinese name anyway.
http://nihongoichiban.com/2011/03/21/what-are-onyomi-and-kunyomi/
http://www.tofugu.com/2010/03/23/the-types-of-kanji-in-japanese-onyomi...
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: What is my Chinese name in proper Japanese? 2015/1/22 11:43
Just a question though, what would his main name 耀豪 be like in Japanese?
by Kou Sorata san rate this post as useful

Re: What is my Chinese name in proper Japanese? 2015/1/22 12:19
Chinese pronunciation of 耀豪 is Yaohao.
His name Japanese reading of is yougou.
黄 is possible to read also kou both ou.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread