Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

SIM only mobile providers 2015/1/31 15:18
I will be in Japan for a year and am interested in finding a SIM only mobile provider. I have a factory unlocked iPhone 5.

I've read about B-Mobile time and time again. Although it seems like a good plan given how much data you get, I've read that the data is SO SLOW!

I recently read an article regarding other providers such as IIJMio (the data is supposedly much faster than B-Mobile) and Rakuten Mobile.

Does anyone have any experience with SIM only mobile providers?

My phone is new so I don't want to have to buy another phone while I'm in Japan. I did read the bigger carriers will not give me service because they will not accept my US phone. That's fine, I'm okay with going with someone like B-Mobile if I have to.

But I would like to know people's personal experience (if any) with SIM only providers and how easy or difficult was it to get service with them?

I ask because I'm confused by how to actually get service with B-Mobile and IIJMio. Both websites say I have to purchase the SIM only, receive it in the mail, and then apply online for service with photos of my passport and ARC. What? When? Where? How? I know this sounds stupid, but I just don't get it.

As for Rakuten Mobile, I haven't research that one yet, but am doing so now.
by SIM Only Please (guest)  

Re: SIM only mobile providers 2015/1/31 17:19
Just go with docomo, softbank, or AU. You said they won't give you a SIM card since you have a US phone. There is a way around it. first you borrow a Japanese phone from your friends, and take the phone to the providers. they will then give you a SIM. after that you can return the phone to your friends. But the downside is you have to sign the contract for 2 years I think.
by HenrySAN rate this post as useful

Re: SIM only mobile providers 2015/1/31 20:11
What exactly do you not understand? First you order the SIM card, and then you have some activation procedures to do, which include submitting a proof of residency such as a copy of your resident card (the "ARC" was abolished in 2012).

This is a legal requirement: Japanese law forbids non-residents from opening telephone lines in their name (so it applies only if you want a voice plan, not if you want a data-only one).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: SIM only mobile providers 2015/2/2 12:16
HenrySAN, thank you! That is very helpful! A 2 year contract is not bad seeing as how I will more than likely recontract after a year!

Firas, they told me I had to register online, but the webpage keeps showing it's an error. I thought it may just have been my browser or computer, but a friend tested it for me and said it didn't work for him either. I had read you had to send a personal email, but sending credit card information in a personal email seems like a bad idea, no?
by SIM Only Please (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: SIM only mobile providers 2015/2/2 17:00
Which provider did you choose? I'm only familiar with b-mobile, then you have to login into your customer interface ("my b-mobile"), upload the copy of your resident card and fill in your credit card number.

Re: SIM only mobile providers 2015/2/3 15:31
I've read about B-Mobile time and time again. Although it seems like a good plan given how much data you get, I've read that the data is SO SLOW!

They have several plans. The speed capped unlimited plans can be slow, but their faster plans are basically as good as it gets speed wise. Just be aware of what you are purchasing/comparing.

I recently read an article regarding other providers such as IIJMio (the data is supposedly much faster than B-Mobile) and Rakuten Mobile.

Most of these service actually run on the same network as b-mobile (docomo) so the speeds and coverage of similar products should be identical.

My phone is new so I don't want to have to buy another phone while I'm in Japan. I did read the bigger carriers will not give me service because they will not accept my US phone. That's fine, I'm okay with going with someone like B-Mobile if I have to.

The major carriers generally don't sell sim-only plans, so you'll have to go with one of the resellers. Besides a more involved setup process, the resellers are generally cheaper while still operating on the good docomo network.

I ask because I'm confused by how to actually get service with B-Mobile and IIJMio. Both websites say I have to purchase the SIM only, receive it in the mail, and then apply online for service with photos of my passport and ARC. What? When? Where? How? I know this sounds stupid, but I just don't get it.

You can do it over the internet or at one of their sales kiosks if you can find one near you. If you are having trouble with their internet interface then you may need to contact their customer support.

Just go with docomo, softbank, or AU. You said they won't give you a SIM card since you have a US phone. There is a way around it. first you borrow a Japanese phone from your friends, and take the phone to the providers. they will then give you a SIM. after that you can return the phone to your friends. But the downside is you have to sign the contract for 2 years I think.

Be careful when you go this route, as you risk getting outrageously high data charges since they can easily identify that your phone is operating outside of their service agreements. This has been known to happen and the bills are usually substantial.

This is a legal requirement: Japanese law forbids non-residents from opening telephone lines in their name (so it applies only if you want a voice plan, not if you want a data-only one).

IIRC the laws don't specifically forbid non-residents from getting phone lines, rather the phone companies are required to note your address details and have taken that further to require residency. It is possible for non-residents to get phone lines, specifically a softbank prepaid and certain b-mobile products.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: SIM only mobile providers 2015/2/4 06:11
My understanding is that if you use a prepaid phone, the phone line isn't actually in your name but in the name of the company which then lets you use it. I may be wrong though, but the fact that Japanese law forbids non-residents from opening a phone line in their name is the justification most companies give for asking a proof of residency.

And as far as the b-mobile prepaid cards, AFAIK they are all data-only.

Re: SIM only mobile providers 2015/2/4 11:02
That would be an interesting loophole. Anyway, I found b-mobile's prepaid voice/data sim, but it's extremely expensive:

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/payg_sim/index.html

Re: SIM only mobile providers 2015/2/4 20:24
Yes, I don't know, maybe the law has been amended recently with the current push to bring in more tourists (there are also some changes to the ICRRA which will come into force in 2015).

Re: SIM only mobile providers 2015/2/5 12:34
Go to Softbank Roppongi. You can get a voice/data SIM there if you are a resident. Softbank uses the iPhone5 on their network so it should not be a problem.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: SIM only mobile providers 2015/2/5 13:01
Sandy, are you saying that softbank will issue postpaid sim cards for non-softbank phones? That seems like a departure from their previous policies. Is this new?

Re: SIM only mobile providers 2015/2/5 15:16
So to share my experience, I chose Yodobashi's house brand, which uses the NTT Docomo network. It was the 3 Gig, 60 day LTE one, about 3600 yen, and claimed a 4G LTE connection and speeds from 50-150 Mbps. It is managed by Wireless Gate, an MVNO, so a reseller that just uses the Docomo equipment. A good deal, but the big problem with it is the speed. It can be as slow as 0.1 Mbps, and the fastest I have got it to go is 1 Mbps. Even if my phone has full signal strength and is connected over LTE band 1 (2100 Mz), this doesn't change, so I'm sure it is just throttled by the company. I can even upload 5 times faster than download! Disappointing, because the sales people assured me I would have a fast connection - maybe not 50-150 Mbps, but fast. I have contacted Wireless Gate about this, and they do have an English voice support line, and they sent me an email response (so that is good), but I don't think I will be able to get the throttling lifted.

It seems you can read stories like this about all the MVNO's, but is there a company/SIM card that anyone can recommend that they have actually got reasonable download speeds with? At less than 1 Mbps Google Translate and Maps (if you want the satellite view) are struggling. eConnect, bMobile, IIJma, do any of these run faster?

Thanks.
by Michael (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: SIM only mobile providers 2015/2/6 12:18
"Sandy, are you saying that softbank will issue postpaid sim cards for non-softbank phones? That seems like a departure from their previous policies. Is this new? "

It only has to be a Softbank approved phone, which has been tested on their network. They will not let you buy a SIM if the phone is not one approved for their network. e.g. Samsung Galaxy S4 or S5.
The logic is that they guarantee the integrity of their service based on phones tested on their network. The iPhone 5 has been tested, so you can get a SIM.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: SIM only mobile providers 2015/2/6 14:07
Great, that's good to hear.

Re: SIM only mobile providers 2015/3/1 00:36
I'm looking into the same thing at the moment. I was wondering if the major providers (softbank, docomo, etc) are completely out of the question if I'm only staying 1 year.
by aether rate this post as useful

reply to this thread