Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buy a LED television in Japan 2015/2/2 11:15
I want to buy a multisystem television (which supports PAL, NTSC, etc...) from Japan. If it supports 220V~240V would be an advantage. I have searched around Akihabara and also tried in the internet stores, but ends up with no luck.

If anyone knows a place with fair enough choices, Please reply.

Thank you!
by Asela Bentharage (guest)  

Re: Buy a LED television in Japan 2015/2/2 12:20
Are you a resident or tourist?
Are you planning to use it in Japan or bring it back to your country?
Nowadays most TV do support NTSC/PAL.
Aside from power different, another main concern will be the broadcast signal tuner as different country use different signal.

So check your country broadcast signal as well.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buy a LED television in Japan 2015/2/2 18:44
most TV do support NTSC/PAL.
really?
I don't think so.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buy a LED television in Japan 2015/2/2 21:01
Majority of the TV supports both NTSC and PAL inputs, as for the tuner signal, it will depend on the countries, most TV in hongkong supports multisystem, but in some countries, it's either PAL/Secam or NTSC.

In japan, there are lots of Multisystems, you just need to check the actual specification and not rely on the word of the sales person, not that they will BS on the information.

A TV that supports Multisystem tuner should support all voltage from 100V -250V, but TV's with multisystem inputs only might not have the require voltage.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Does anyone use NTSC or PAL anymore? 2015/2/3 09:19
Modern TVs are digital so analogue inputs are no longer a concern for most users in Japan. Most TVs that have analogue inputs available currently have a DAC that may be able to convert both PAL and NTSC.

Most likely the built in decoders/tuners in Japanese TV may not be compatible with foreign broadcast systems or decoder cards. Probably you will be using an external decoder box or playing from a computer, DVD or Blu-ray player, so going via HDMI means that PAL and NTSC are irrelevant.

LCD/LED TVs usually run on low voltage stepped down from mains power: some have a external power brick that you could replace if it doesn't accept your countries voltage, other with an internal PSU would be more difficult to change, but as they are fairly low low a step down transformer would be relatively cheap.

Also note that most Japanese TVs, like many other consumer products intended for the home market are Japanese language only for menus, controls and documentation. Also shipping outside Japan would void any warranty and parts may not be available abroad should future repair be required.
by Mr Shippy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buy a LED television in Japan 2015/2/3 10:06
I know for a fact that all recent Sharp Aquos models can be switched to an English menu interface. Have no experience with other makers.
by kcrackerg rate this post as useful

Re: Buy a LED television in Japan 2015/2/3 12:21
Coming from the USA it seems to me that TV's in Japan are insanely expensive and I don't really know why.. Could it be because they almost all have the cable ready tuners that USA TV's generally lack? In the US we almost always have a cable box, in Japan the TV's directly take cards. Example, I can easily pick from a wide range of 60" LCD TV's in the USA for 600 to 800 dollars.. Good luck with that in Japan.
by basketcase rate this post as useful

Re: Buy a LED television in Japan 2015/2/3 12:38
It's hard to compare as it's a different market, and in Japan there is a lot less pressure from lower end and Korean manufacturers. Not to mention that larger sized tv's are a relatively higher luxury in Japan than in the States, so they tend to also be higher spec models with fuller feature sets, which results in comparatively higher prices. If you look at the smaller, more common sized tv's the markets are much more similar.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread