Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shipping things back to the UK from Osaka 2015/2/3 05:42
Hey

I've been on a study abroad scheme here for the past 5 months and i leave in July.
Super tempted to grab and build a pc here.

I have a bit i'll need to ship home when i return anyway, does anyone have any info on prices/good companies i can go to, to ship things home safely?
ty
by jordanwalker94  

Re: Shipping things back to the UK from Osaka 2015/2/3 12:27
JP Post surface/sea parcel is the cheapest.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Shipping things back to the UK from Osaka 2015/2/6 09:18
postage costs from Japan are horrendous, i really wouldn't consider shipping a Pc back home unless it's 4-5 times cheaper.
by pas7680 rate this post as useful

Re: Shipping things back to the UK from Osaka 2015/2/6 10:19
Japan post is probably the cheapest, but the rates to the UK are particularly high for some reason. A 23kg parcel (the limit is 30kg, but 23 compares to taking luggage on the airplane) costs about 21,500 yen by SAL and 11,000 yen by surface mail.

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/cgi-charge/result.php?lang=_en

At those rates it will be cheaper to just take it on the plane with you and pay the extra baggage fees. Then you also don't have to worry as much about things like customs and import fees and holdups.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Shipping things back to the UK from Osaka 2015/2/7 12:41
It depends on what "things" you want to ship - if it's something like a PC, I would definitely take it as extra luggage and pay for it. If you have furniture, well, then, contact a moving company (like Nittsu). If you have clothing, books, etc., that you don't mind waiting a few months for, then use Japan Post surface mail. (But be sure to insure them - I've had a box of clothing, shoes, CDs, etc. shipped from Japan to the UK and got stuff stolen on the way.)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread