Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is Shibuya 109 staff speaking English? 2015/2/4 02:03
My Japanese is poor and I wanna shop at Eleaco and Ma*rs, maybe others but definitely these 2.
by Shibuya109 (guest)  

Re: Is Shibuya 109 staff speaking English? 2015/2/4 08:51
You can shop there and see the items you're shopping. If you need to ask questions, if I were you, I'd learn them ahead of your visit or at least write them down on paper and show them to the staff. If they don't speak English, and don't be offended/surprised if they don't, then this is the only way to communicate. You can use a smart phone translation app but use very short sentences to translate. If they cross their forearms in the shape of a "X", then that means "no"/"not available".
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Is Shibuya 109 staff speaking English? 2015/2/5 00:35
I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. I've even went to the police station with my half baked Japanese and survived, no thanks to an incident of a "lost handbag". Bless the Japanese people, it was found eventually with everything intact.

Learn simple phrases before you go. If you don't know how to pronounce or say them, you can just use a translator app or show the message on your phone. Sign language works wonders too.

You should have seen me performing charades in front of the police...*hurhur*
by Murakami Seirin rate this post as useful

Re: Is Shibuya 109 staff speaking English? 2015/2/5 10:51
by Hang (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Shibuya 109 staff speaking English? 2015/2/8 08:44
Your average tourist shouldn't need to study Japanese before going. Just familiarise yourself with a few phrases and use a book or phone app.
by serving (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread