Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

how to differentiate japanese name suffixes 2015/2/9 09:25
What is the difference between -san, -chan, -kun, -sama, -chi, -ichi?
I know when Japanese people address someone, they add a suffix to the name. I want to know the meanings behind each of them. -ichi and -chi aren't as common but I still don't know what they mean TT^TT
And can -kun be used to address girls as well?
by Nicjiwoo  

Re: how to differentiate japanese name suffixes 2015/2/9 11:03
If you meet someone for the first time, you start with "-san." That is the polite version. That is like referring to someone with "Mr...." or "Ms...."
"-sama" is more respectful one, used to refer to someone apparently senior to you in ranking, or shop/hotel people referring to guests.

Others are considered more "familiar" ones, and are more part of nicknames. "-kun" and "-chan" might be used among college classmates when referring to their friends. But I would not use them unless someone tells you to "call me (-chan)" or something like that.

The same with "-chi," and this does not work with every name. It gets integrated into the nickname. You could consider "-(i)chi" as something similar to "diminutives" in some European languages - as in Spanish, to call a girl with the name "Raquel," they might say "Raquelita" instead, for "cuter" tone to the name :)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: how to differentiate japanese name suffixes 2015/2/9 15:13
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_honorifics

-ichi/-chi is what?
nick name's???
by PGZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: how to differentiate japanese name suffixes 2015/2/9 15:53
Yes, as the previous poster said, you can use those to make diminutive nicknames. They aren't honorifics though, so they're not gonna show up on that wiki page.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: how to differentiate japanese name suffixes 2015/2/9 17:16
(Sorry I was too lazy to log in earlier.)

Yes, "-chi/-ichi" is just to make it sound cute, "diminutive." It is not a respectful expression at all.

All I know is in Spanish, some people (mostly family members) say "Raquelita" to a girl named Raquel, "Juanita" to a girl named Juana, etc. Like "little/cute Raquel," "little/cute Juana."
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread