Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bought a defective camera from Yodobashi 2015/2/11 18:01
I bought a brand new canon camera from Yodabashi last week when I was visiting Japan, and when I am back in the States, I realized there is a dead spot on the len (not on the screen), and I really couldn't see it when I was testing the camera before I left the store.

I remembered the salesperson told me there is no international warranty for all cameras bought in Japan.

What can I do now since I am back in the US?
by JoshST  

Re: Bought a defective camera from Yodobashi 2015/2/11 20:01
What do you mean by dead spot?

In case of a DSLR black spots visible while looking through the viewfinder are most likely due to dust on the mirror.

Little spots that are not visible through the viewfinder, but do show up on pictures are most likely due to dust on the sensor.

by kcrackerg rate this post as useful

Re: Bought a defective camera from Yodobashi 2015/2/11 21:00
The main disadvantage of buying stuff in Japan is that the warranty in most cases is for Japan only.
I bought some time ago a music player in Japan of a well established brand (Viktor) and it broke. It had only a warranty valid in Japan.
However i checked the importer in my country (JVC) and asked if they could repair it under warranty.
No problem. They even did not ask for any proof when/where i bought it (of course because it was a current model they knew it was not old).
BTW The music player had the name Victor on it but the same model was sold here under the name JVC!
So in your case i would call a Canon/repair centre and ask if they are willing to repair it under warranty.

B. Slager
by B. Slager (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bought a defective camera from Yodobashi 2015/2/11 22:06
"What can I do now since I am back in the US?"

Take it to a reputable camera store that deals with Canon products and have them check it out. Most likely, as kcrackerg suggested, it is just dust. They should be able to clean it for you.
by daai maou (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bought a defective camera from Yodobashi 2015/2/11 22:38
B. Slager,

FYI.

JVC stands for Japan Victor Corporation hence JVC.

S
by USC4Ever rate this post as useful

Re: Bought a defective camera from Yodobashi 2015/2/12 00:46
This is correct, worldwide uses the JVC brand for all product, in japan, depending on product, they use both JVC or Victor.

@ B. Slager

You are lucky as the JVC brand does not provide international warranty, some companies provide after sales service in good will, although they can reject you.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread