Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Temple/museum guide books buy online? 2015/2/12 11:02
Hi,
A bit odd question maybe but trying to find any possibilities of buying such guide/information booklets available at museums, some temples, etc...

For instance I bought a booklet about Chusonji in Hiraizumi (Discovering Chusonji temple). I got a guide book from Saitama Rail Museum as well as Edo Tokyo museum for instance.
by Joho (guest)  

Re: Temple/museum guide books buy online? 2015/2/12 15:42
Some large museums include Tokyo National Museum operate it own museum shop as well as online shop where sell guide books. But the most small museums/temples don't have online shop. They may operate small shop inside the museum or temple.
http://www.tnm-shop.jp/products/list.php?category_id=30
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Temple/museum guide books buy online? 2015/2/12 17:31
Thank you for your reply.

I was mostly thinking if it could be found on perhaps Amazon.co.jp or Rakuten shop. If there were any central publisher for the museum or temple. I have seen some studio Ghibli booklets on Amazon.co.jp by the way so that's why the thought came.

by Joho (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temple/museum guide books buy online? 2015/2/12 18:14
oh I see.
Tokuma shoten publishing had made studio Ghibli first in 1985 and was the owner until 2005, therefore Tokuma shoten can be publish and sell all Ghibli books through their book store network include Amazon. And even now, Tokuma shoten has a strong power on Ghibli's management.
But I don't think the other temples/museums have no book store network to sell their guide books, or even not so many people would buy those guide books other than the site.

There are guide books such as Kyoto shrine/temple include map available at book stores, but I don't think those guide books satisfy your needs.
http://goo.gl/Jd2jy2

Re: Temple/museum guide books buy online? 2015/2/13 00:07
It depends on the place. World Heritage Sites, for example, have books written about them, so you can get books about those sites in Kyoto, Iwami Ginzan, Shirakawa-go, Nikko, etc.

You'll just have to look up each place by name or list some specific places here and see if someone can find them.
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temple/museum guide books buy online? 2015/2/13 13:40
You could also try yahoo auctions, but that'll be pretty hit and miss. Just as an example I searched for Meiji Jingu, and several guidebooks of different ages popped up... none in English, currently, but some could show up.

I'm sure you were hoping for more standard catalogue type sites, but I don't think you're going to have much luck.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Temple/museum guide books buy online? 2015/2/18 03:38
I was wondering if anyone knows if the Tokyo National Museum will ship to the US? I can't seem to find that info on their site and when I go to do an inquiry they ask where in Japan I am in...

Thank you for any help (sorry to hijack the thread).
by Shogun26 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temple/museum guide books buy online? 2015/2/18 21:43
Tokyo National Museum online shop is only available domestic shipping.

reply to this thread