Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Internet rental wifi or prepaid SIM card? 2015/3/7 06:23
Hello,

I've never purchased or rented wifi/internet services in Japan before so I'm not quite sure which option works better. I will be staying in Japan for 18 days from Tokyo to Osaka/Kyoto area.

I use an unlocked Iphone 5s (I had it unlocked but I never changed my data service provider so I'm not quite sure how to change to a different sim card).

I looked at http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2279.html but I'm still not sure which one is the best option in terms of internet and price?
by asatou  

Re: Internet rental wifi or prepaid SIM card? 2015/3/7 11:21
If you have laptops and other people sharing internet connection with you, it's better to use the portable wifi rather than tethering through a phone.

Apart from that, wifi rental (usually) comes with unlimited data if you sign up for their standard 3G package. This works better if, like I said, you're sharing it in a group and use a lot of data.

As for cost wise, it is cheaper to buy a prepaid SIM (for standard 3G speed). But data is usually limited. If you're alone and you use it moderately just for checking emails, Googling stuff and using Google maps, it's better to take this option as it is more cost friendly.
by mori (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Internet rental wifi or prepaid SIM card? 2015/3/9 23:54
Hey!
I had the same question a fee weeks ago. At the moment we are travelling with a sakura rental wifi, whicj was the cheapest offer I found.
We are very happy with it!
We ordered it from Germany and it was already in our hostel when we arrived in Tokyo.
We only turn it on when we need it. But after starting it the wifi can be used very quickly and it is pretty fast!
by Anne (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Internet rental wifi or prepaid SIM card? 2015/3/10 06:44
Buy a sim card If your hotel has wifi then I think you can live with it
by americanperson rate this post as useful

Re: Internet rental wifi or prepaid SIM card? 2015/3/13 15:37
Will you go only by yourself? And will you use laptop or Ipad? If you use more than one device ,I think renting a wifi router is cheaper and more convenient. There are many choices,ie
Wifi-hire, Ninja, Sakura,Horizon...many providers in Japan now.
by memphis (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Internet rental wifi or prepaid SIM card? 2015/3/17 06:34
Thanks everyone :) I decided to go with Sakura mobile SIM card because of the price and I will only be using internet my iphone outside of the hotel.
by asatou rate this post as useful

reply to this thread