Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

communicate on two phones/Japan travel 2015/3/9 03:57
Hi,
I will be traveling in Japan with a friend from Europe. I live in the US. I will bring with me a locked iPhone 4S and an unlocked Google Nexus phone. I am somewhat more proficient than my friend, but still need some pointed advice. We'd like to be able to communicate with each other, in case we decide to visit different places and reconnect at the end of the day. Also, I would need to use the Google maps, Hyperdia, and webpages for additional info. I have Hangouts and I could probably install Skype on both phones. I was thinking of renting an WiFi for the iPhone and a SIM card for the android for 19 days. My friend arrives a few hours before me at Narita and we have limited time after I arrive, so I'd like her to take care of the rentals.
Questions:
1) would she be able to rent the SIM without having the phone with her?
2) Same question about renting the WiFi.
3) Can we rent the SIM for 19 days rather than 14 days?
4) Could the WiFi be used by both phones, when in range? or if not both at the same time, could it be used by either phone?
5) I've never used the Hangout app on the phone, only on the laptop. If my friend calls me, do I need the app "open", or the fact that is installed is enough to hear her call? Same for skype.
6) Are there other apps that may be more convenient to use to communicate with each other?
My apologies for questions that may seem very naive - the rapid advancement of technology doesn't sit well with the declining brain power of two middle-age ladies who prefer gardening. Thank you!
by Alis (guest)  

Re: communicate on two phones/Japan travel 2015/3/9 10:56
1) Yes of course, the SIM is just a regular package you pick up at the post office, they don't check that you have a phone. They do, however, check that the person who picks up the package is the intended recipient, so you need to order the SIM in your friend's name.

2) Obviously, yon don't need a phone to pick up the wifi...

3) No, you'll have to order one which is valid for 30 days, or two for 15 days each.

4) Yes, the wifi can be used by pretty much as many devices as you wish at the same time.

5) I am not familiar with Hangout.

6) Because of 5) I don't know what Hangout does, but if you only need to send text messages you can use for example Line, Skype, or even Facebook. I only use text so I don't know how calls work in those apps either.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: communicate on two phones/Japan travel 2015/3/9 20:30
Hangout is Google's version of lines, whatsapp ETC, and allows free SMS and other functions too, as long as Google's is running on the android phone, it should connect.
by kms899 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: communicate on two phones/Japan travel 2015/3/9 22:00
3) No, you'll have to order one which is valid for 30 days, or two for 15 days each.

That is incorrect. You can rent a SIM for 19 days if you wish.

Global Advanced Communications will rent you a SIM card for any number of days you wish. 19 days will cost you 19200 Yen + any taxes and fees they charge.

See their web page here:
http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/simrent.html

They also rent pocket wifi devices and they can deliver both the pocket wifi and sim to your hotel if you wish instead of having to pick them up at the airport.
by daai maou (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: communicate on two phones/Japan travel 2015/3/9 22:20
Global Advanced Communications will rent you a SIM card for any number of days you wish. 19 days will cost you 19200 Yen + any taxes and fees they charge.

At such a ridiculously high price, it might as well not exist in the first place.

Re: communicate on two phones/Japan travel 2015/3/10 01:53
High price is your opinion. Someone else may not find it so. The OP asked if it was possible to rent a sim for 19 days, and it is.

Global Advanced is just one of many companies that rent sims. I suggested it because it is one of the more popular services people discuss here on japan-guide and it gets very good reviews.

Re: communicate on two phones/Japan travel 2015/3/10 01:58
High price is not "my opinion", it's a mathematical fact: it is much higher then other providers.

Re: communicate on two phones/Japan travel 2015/3/10 02:04
The OP asked if it was possible to rent a sim for 19 days. I showed them that they could. Your opinion about high prices is irrelevant.

Re: communicate on two phones/Japan travel 2015/3/10 06:12
https://www.sakuramobile.jp/short-term-plans/

Sakura Mobile deliver to all major airports and have very flexible plans. Also by the amount of data you want rather than how many days and sometimes that can work out cheaper.

7GB for 19 days prepaid sim is just over 6000 yen, way cheaper than Global Advanced. Less GB is less money.

A mobile router 7GB for 19 days is just over 7000 yen.

Together that'll work out to about 14,000 yen for the both of you, and you'd still have money to spare compared to Global Advanced.
by jackson (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: communicate on two phones/Japan travel 2015/3/10 11:40
Thank you all very much for your kind replies.
by Alis (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: communicate on two phones/Japan travel 2015/3/10 12:13
1) would she be able to rent the SIM without having the phone with her?

Yes, but it is preferable to have them set everything up for you when renting from the kiosks. You also don't need anything when ordering from a delivery service, which you could alternatively have sent to your hotel or to your home even.

2) Same question about renting the WiFi.

Same as above. The rental/prepaid sim companies rent both, usually at similar rates.

3) Can we rent the SIM for 19 days rather than 14 days?

Depends on the service provider, but most can charge by the day. Some only offer weekly, biweekly or monthly plans though so its best to shop around.

Generally, the services offered online (bmobile, econnect, global advance, cdjapan, etc.) are cheaper than the kiosks at the airport, but each have their strengths.

4) Could the WiFi be used by both phones, when in range? or if not both at the same time, could it be used by either phone?

Yes, most support between 5-10 devices at a time.

5) I've never used the Hangout app on the phone, only on the laptop. If my friend calls me, do I need the app "open", or the fact that is installed is enough to hear her call? Same for skype.

No need to be open, but you may have to have notifications turned on for each app, in which case, both apps will ring in the background. Note that the ringer volume is not the same as a normal call and may not be loud enough to hear if it is in your pocket (found this out on a recent trip abroad).

6) Are there other apps that may be more convenient to use to communicate with each other?

Texting works pretty much the same, so that could be a better alternative if you're already used to checking it. I also like using voip (via acrobits softphone) which gives a more phone-like experience, although its more involved to set up.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread