Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Maji ka / Maji desu ka 2015/3/11 12:52
Is 'maji ka' used to denote both pleasant and unpleasant surprise, or is it generally used only for when things go wrong? For example if a friend gives me a cool gift, is it okay to exclaim 'maji ka!' when I open it?
by jennjett (guest)  

Re: Maji ka / Maji desu ka 2015/3/11 14:12
I've only ever heard 'maji ka' used in the sense of "seriously?!"

As in:
A: "I bunked off work today"
B: "seriously?!"

So upon opening a gift, it might not be entirely the right phrase to choose...

Someone else here might shed some more light
by junkymotown (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maji ka / Maji desu ka 2015/3/11 15:15
Is 'maji ka' used to denote both pleasant and unpleasant surprise,

Yes, and it means "Seriously?" or "For real?"

For example if a friend gives me a cool gift, is it okay to exclaim 'maji ka!' when I open it?

Yes, if you mean "For real?" and if it's a young friend you can talk to in a very casual tone.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maji ka / Maji desu ka 2015/3/11 15:48
I said it to a colleague who I'm somewhat close with but as soon as I said it I felt that I had done the wrong thing. She gave me a present and as I opened it I exclaimed 'maji ka? kore wa totemo kirei desu! bikkurishita! arigatou goazimasuhita!' etc etc. I really hope she wasn't offended by me using such casual language, it sort of slipped out because I hear my young students say it all the time when they're surprised. She knows that my Japanese is pretty bad and I'm just a beginner, but I really hope I didn't offend her or imply disrespect towards her gift!
by jennjett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maji ka / Maji desu ka 2015/3/11 16:34
Well, you did sound like a male teenage student :) It was kind of like saying "Dammit! This is so pretty..." or even "Shit! This is so lovely..."

Actually, there is a Japanese TV drama being aired now, and a character, who is a stylish and serious female novel editor in her early 20s (a real-life fashion model plays the role), occasionally uses words like "maji-ka?!" or "baka nano ka?!" and this is supposed to imply that she is a little bit eccentric and straightforward for her elegant looks.

Teenagers often use boy-ish language, but as you get older females just say "maji?" But still, "maji" is basically a slang for the youth, so if you're old enough to be a teacher, you'd only use it jokingly. Of course, females also do use "maji-ka?" if it's meant to be said in a jokingly tone among friends.

Hope it helps.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maji ka / Maji desu ka 2015/3/11 17:34
Thanks Uco!
by jennjett (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread