Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying non-MSG/salt/sugar food for infant 2015/3/12 17:25
Hi there,
Just moved over and we're looking for foods without MSG/salt/sugar in for our young son. Any idea where is a good starting point?
For example - trying to find a breakfast cereal that doesn't have any of the above added. In Britain - easy. In Japan... seemingly not so easy.
We're particularly after bread, cereal and baby food without those things added at the mo.
Any help greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
J
by junkymotown (guest)  

Re: Buying non-MSG/salt/sugar food for infant 2015/3/13 00:27
Majority of baby foods are non-MSG products.
The most baby foods contain very small percentage of salt and sugar. The otherwise, the food doesn't last long for sale.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-language/product/B00792VX5S/ref=dp_c...

The above baby food from Germany says no salt but the ingredients tell that it contain 0.003 g of salt.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Buying non-MSG/salt/sugar food for infant 2015/3/13 17:40
We are scheduled to be moving to Japan shortly for hubby work purposes. I'm concerned about MSG etc as we have a child and I have the added complication of being pregnant. Have you thought about asking your company to pay for a one off bulk buy from the Uk? Or I imagine family and friends could bring some things for you when they visit. Have you thought about alternative breakfasts for your child like a boiled egg and soldiers, fruit etc
by Hazel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying non-MSG/salt/sugar food for infant 2015/3/13 21:23
You can go to any shizen-shokuhin-ten (natural food stores, not to be confused with health good stores which are often a bit phoney) such as F&F, Kodawariya, Natural House etc. to buy MSG-free ready-made baby food or even organic baby food. You can also buy chemical-free or often sugar-free bread there.

But if it's just cereal, I see no reason you can't buy plain oat meal. Basically, the Japanese start baby food by making rice porridge, which is basically plain rice stewed in plain water.

Some store clerks may not understand what "MSG" is, so tell them you don't want "kagaku-choumiryou."
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying non-MSG/salt/sugar food for infant 2015/3/14 19:04
Many thanks that is extremely helpful

Re: Buying non-MSG/salt/sugar food for infant 2015/3/16 18:02
What the big problem? Japanese children ok eating for years your children will eat foods like that at Japanese school
by HO1 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying non-MSG/salt/sugar food for infant 2015/3/16 18:07
It wasn't a case of my 'problem' - it was a case of asking for some ideas and guidance.

Otherwise, thanks for the responses. The breakfast cereal (not every day, just nice to have an alternative to the things we can cook/buy here) we found at an import shop at a very reasonable price. So that's all good.

As for the baby food, there's a pricey brand called Ofukuro that seems to be pretty good in terms of ingredients like that.
by junkymotown (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying non-MSG/salt/sugar food for infant 2015/3/17 00:18
I don't think Japanese mothers use commercial baby foods frequently. They make foods for their babies, because they love their babies. that is a traditional way.
cereals are not popular in Japanese families.
no one in my neighborhood eats cereals.

mono sodium glutamate has not been a problem in Japanese traditional foods.
in old time, there was a story that some of Chinese restaurants added a lot of MSG to Ramen and that made us sick. I believe they stopped.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying non-MSG/salt/sugar food for infant 2015/3/18 19:01
And British mothers make food for their babies too who they adore and love. Alot of Brit mums choose to work to inspire their children especially daughters that they can achieve and succeed not just in the home. Baby jars sterile and nutrious ideal for busy parents. Every country is different.

Re: Buying non-MSG/salt/sugar food for infant 2015/3/18 19:28
The baby food brand you mention junkymotown, Are you expecting a baby too and researching it? I am keen to know if that brand suitable for young babies as I will be having a baby in JP and will use some bought products

Re: Buying non-MSG/salt/sugar food for infant 2015/3/18 19:53
In Japan baby food is also common and popular.
One of the most popular brand is Kewpie, and their website states that they do not use colouring, preservaties nor flavouring agent.

This is just an example of their products.
http://www.kewpie.co.jp/babyfood/products/detail.php?code=49841909

"Carrot and potate (pureed)"
Net weight: 70g
Suggested retail price JPY130 (w/o tax)

Ingredients:
Carrot, dried mashed potato, beet sugar, corn starch
Nutrition/jar (70g)
Energy: 21kcal
Protein: 0.3g
Fat: 0.1g
CarbohydrateF4.8g
Sodium: 7mg

They also have baby food in retort pouch or freeze dried ones in their lineup.

You can buy baby food at supermarkets and pharmacies.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying non-MSG/salt/sugar food for infant 2015/3/19 00:58
Ofukuro is the most popular organic baby food brand in Japan.
http://itefuya.c2ec.com/about

Unlike other brands including Kewpie, they don't even use extract. And of course they don't use MSG.

It seems to me that they don't even use salt, sugar and cornstarch, but just in case, the word for salt is ‰– and the word for sugar is »“œ and the word for cornstarch is ƒR[ƒ“ƒXƒ^[ƒ`
Watch out for them when you look at the ingredients on the label, if you are one of the people who want to avoid them.

By the way, ready-made baby food has been commonly used in Japan for many decades. It's hygienic and handy especially when you need to travel with your baby during meal time. It has nothing to do with love or not cooking your own. All my mom friends used both homemade and ready-made some twenty years ago. Especially I needed to provide extra care for my allergic baby, so I had to carry baby food instead of relying on what you get at restaurants.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying non-MSG/salt/sugar food for infant 2015/3/21 20:38
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

reply to this thread