Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying/Exchange policies for electrical goods 2015/3/12 21:49
I would be grateful if someone can help out, My visit to Japan in June, I will be buying a Sony NW-ZX2 high Res audio player costing 119880 Yen

There is a few things I need to know.

where will be cheapest place to buy this, I was told small alleyways will probably be cheaper even if they don't offer tax free, or I can go to some of the main electric department store for tax free, places like Akihabara or Ikebukuro offers the best bargain.

If I do buy one, does these shop allow for me to fully test this out before payment.
I will be testing it for dead/stuck pixels, how will shops deal with these, and policies on pixels problems.

Also how is the return policies for exchange for a problem unit, I don't need to exchange for a different model or a refund, just a working unit problem free.
I heard people mention about Yodobashi being not so friendly with returning product, but it may be due to different situation.

Thanks
by kms899 (guest)  

Re: Buying/Exchange policies for electrical goods 2015/3/13 11:59
where will be cheapest place to buy this, I was told small alleyways will probably be cheaper even if they don't offer tax free, or I can go to some of the main electric department store for tax free, places like Akihabara or Ikebukuro offers the best bargain.

Check kakaku. But there may not be much of a discount with specialty items like this.

http://kakaku.com/item/K0000732905/

If I do buy one, does these shop allow for me to fully test this out before payment.

Probably not the actual item, but there might be a display model you can try though.

I will be testing it for dead/stuck pixels, how will shops deal with these, and policies on pixels problems.

Dead/stuck pixels shouldn't be a problem with a new device, but if there are some shops will allow you to exchange if you go back with a receipt. Otherwise, if its not an immediate problem then you'll have to check the sony warranty.

Also how is the return policies for exchange for a problem unit, I don't need to exchange for a different model or a refund, just a working unit problem free.

People generally don't return goods in Japan, even if it's unopened. You can usually exchange a defective product, but
usually if it's not defective then once you've opened it's yours.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Buying/Exchange policies for electrical goods 2015/3/13 21:52
Thanks for the reply, I know of the site, if I'm to send overseas, I will probably consider it, or pricejapan.com , but whiles in Japan I will get it from a store, and there isn't a point checking a display unit, as I intend to make the purchase so that's the unit I want to check.

would you consider making a purchase from the Ginza Song building, even without discount and tax free, I'm sure they will allow you to inspect the unit before hand.
I'd rather pay the normal price knowing I have a problem free unit, than getting it cheaper elsewhere without inspection.

I'm just concerned about the pixels problem, had bad experiences in the past.
pixel problem are usual from manufacture process, and show up in a new unit, they don't usually show up during time used, but it is possible sometimes.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Buying/Exchange policies for electrical goods 2015/3/15 00:52
If you get a receipt, there is a way to get a tax refund on your way out if the country even in they didn't do the paper work at the store. Cutie guys here told me there was a kiosk at narita where you can fill out forms for tax refund.
by Brett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying/Exchange policies for electrical goods 2015/3/16 11:36
If you get a receipt, there is a way to get a tax refund on your way out if the country even in they didn't do the paper work at the store. Cutie guys here told me there was a kiosk at narita where you can fill out forms for tax refund.

I'm afraid that is incorrect. There is no way to get a tax refund at the airport. It must be done at the point of sale.

http://tax-freeshop.jnto.go.jp/eng/shopping-guide.php
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread