Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Impolite to ask to not block the view? 2015/3/15 04:05
Hello. I noticed that people in Japan visiting popular tourist sites, enjoy much standing for a long time in places with best views, where... their presence would be undesired by these who would like to take a good photo of the view unobstructed by accidental people. Is it acceptable in Japanese culture to ask people to do not block the view? I ask, because Japanese seem to be totally unconscious that covering most photogenic views is quite troublesome.

Would you advise me what to say to politely but understandably explain that I would like to take a photo with nobody in front of me? Is it ok to ask even if they are elder people? I speak basic Japanese, but I noticed that Japanese asked something like "shashin wo torasete itadakemasen ka" thought rather that I prefer to have the photo together with them than that I want them to move to another place.
by Aso0408  

Re: Impolite to ask to not block the view? 2015/3/15 13:45
What kind of places are you referring to? If at public places, people simply wait for a while until they can get a good view... usually if you start holding up your camera, and wait for a while, some people notice and step aside for you, wait in their track, while others might be too absorbed in the views to notice. Everyone just waits, and seeing if they get a good chance to take good photos is part of the fun too :) Everyone with a camera is hoping for the best view, so I would say it can sound selfish if you ask them to move over..

And as you say "shashin wo torasete itadakemasen ka" would sound like you want to take photos of them.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Impolite to ask to not block the view? 2015/3/15 13:54
If the people are not trespassing anywhere, which I doubt any Japanese would do, then I think it is rude to ask people to move away for your photo.

This goes anywhere in the world.
by AHVdk (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Impolite to ask to not block the view? 2015/3/15 16:03
I would feel very impolite if I asked people to move away.!.

I know that I am in the photos of many people, so I don't mind having people I don't know in my photos.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Impolite to ask to not block the view? 2015/3/15 16:23
You can stand there for a minutes while people not standing to cover the scenery, that's majority of Japanese people do.
or, you can ask those people
"Sumimasen, shashin wo toritainode sukoshi migi(or hidari) ni ugoite moraemasuka?"
(Excuse me, but could you move a bit right(or left) to take the photo).

"shashin wo torasete itadakemasen ka" means "Can I take a photo of you".

by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Impolite to ask to not block the view? 2015/3/15 18:17
Thank to all of you for your posts.

I am aware that it is embarrassing to ask people to move to different place. This is why I am asking you for opinion, what could be done.

The typical situation is for example the open-air observation deck with views on mountains, lakes or even cities below where people are likely to seat in the middle of narrow space with a good view for a long time admiring the view and talking leisurely. The problem is less of a concern if these people are able to see me and notice that I am waiting to take a photo but usually they do not. Because they are watching the view in front of them and they are not aware that somebody behind them is waiting for them to walk to another place. In such a case, is it acceptable to openly ask them for understanding or it would considered as a rudeness?
by Aso0408 rate this post as useful

Re: Impolite to ask to not block the view? 2015/3/15 18:36
Everyone is taking their turn admiring (or taking photos of) the view at their pace - there is no time appointments or anything for anyone :) So I think it is better to wait for your turn. Who knows, those people who you see as talking leisurely "might" have waited patiently for a long time for their turn; if you ask them, they might move, sure, but then others who want to take photos might rush into that spot after you that they would lose the spot they long waited for :(

Everyone just waits, if you know what I mean. it is not that it is embarrassing to ask - let me put it plainly, I think it if impolite to ask. Those are public places for everyone to share.

(The same ...(guest) who commented first, by the way. A Japanese living in Tokyo.)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Impolite to ask to not block the view? 2015/3/15 19:00
I'm a Japanese resident who have traveled around the world, the most recent destination being the overly-crowded Year-End London Bridge, and I've never in my life been asked by a tourist photographer to move away.

As others have suggested, every tourist has a right to stand their and enjoy the view for as long as they like, but you won't see a whole group of people standing there forever.

If you hold the camera up near your chin and stand there for a while with a friendly smile, people will notice you are waiting to take a picture. If there are more than one person waiting, they tend to notice each other and make sure whose turn it is next. Other people may notice strangers trying to take photos and, as a courtesy to the photographer, encourage their own friends to move along, but I have never seen the photographers or his/her group themselves doing this to other people.

This seems to be the unwritten universal rule, because it's the same for wherever country I go to or for whoever foreign tourist I see in Japan.

So if you must take photos, be sure you plan your trip with enough time for that. Otherwise, you can enjoy the crowd as part of your photo (which, in my opinion, is the fun of tourist photos). Or sometimes tour guides and friendly tourists can give you advise on where you can stand to take perfect shots.

By the way, we waited a while on London Bridge until we successfully stood at the edge to tell another friend "Now!" so that she could press the shutter for us. Nowadays, people seem to have these long sticks that allow you to shoot great selfies.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Impolite to ask to not block the view? 2015/3/15 23:38
I have actually seen old men in Japan tell people who are lingering too long to move.

It has only happened a few times, but it was mostly under special circumstances, such as when there is a very clearly defined (but not necessarily officially imposed) line of where the crowd is taking pictures and some jerk walks out in front of everyone to get their own pictures or they step in front of a man who is taking pictures or ready to take pictures.

Although I don't think I could ever holler at anyone myself, I understood it in those circumstances. Everyone was thinking it.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Impolite to ask to not block the view? 2015/3/16 14:12
I assume that, in Rabbityama's post, the man telling to move and the man trying to take photos are from two different groups. That, I have seen a lot. Then the photographer would usually gesture a kind of a "oh, you didn't have to rush away just for ME, but I am humbled by your kindness" tone.

Anyway, I don't think it's polite to imply that "you are not pretty-looking enough to be invited into MY precious photograph."
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Impolite to ask to not block the view? 2015/3/16 15:44
If you want to get a perfect photo you should go there really early in the morning or late in the afternoon when there are less people around.
by jennjett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Impolite to ask to not block the view? 2015/3/18 00:27
Once I waited about an hour and a half for a clear shot along the length of Kazurabashi with no one walking along it. Sometimes in busy places it can be frustrating when trying to get a shot but as all have said here, everyone has the right to enjoy the place as much as you.

That said, I don't think it's necessarily impolite to ask and if you say it with an appropriate tone of voice, tokyo friend's suggestion would be fine, I feel:

"Sumimasen, shashin wo toritainode sukoshi migi(or hidari) ni ugoite moraemasuka?"

Smile lots and look very apologetic... I doubt anyone would really object.
by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

Re: Impolite to ask to not block the view? 2015/3/22 01:33
First off, are you even sure that they're Japanese people? How do you know they're not Chinese? Did you hear them speaking Japanese?

Also, were you there before them? I mean, if they were there first and then you decide to go behind them and bust out your camera, I think they have a right to stay there. You should be the one moving.

However, if you were there first and your camera was already out... and then they just get right in the shot, that's just straight up rude. In this case, they're probably Chinese because that's how they are.

There are a lot of Chinese at tourist spots, let alone, the world, but if they do happen to be Chinese and they get in the way of your camera while you take a shot you can say "GWUN KAI!" That means get the f*** out of the way. Make sure you say it like you mean it too. Haha, just kidding. Well, not really. Or you can be polite and say "qing rang yi xia," which means excuse me please (literally please let me through.
by felguard rate this post as useful

Re: Impolite to ask to not block the view? 2015/3/22 15:33
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Impolite to ask to not block the view? 2015/3/22 21:26
I once complained to my husband about people standing around somewhere I wanted to take a photo.
His reply "If you want to take photos without people, get up at 6 am."

Fair point.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread