Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

US iPhone for use in Japan with Softbank? 2015/3/16 10:43
I`m thinking about purchasing a US iphone to use with Softbank in Japan. Is this possible? I`d also like to use it in the US with Verizon once I return.
by snoelle22 (guest)  

Re: US iPhone for use in Japan with Softbank? 2015/3/16 10:53
Possible, but maybe not practical. It partially depends on how long you'll be staying in Japan.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: US iPhone for use in Japan with Softbank? 2015/3/16 12:03
I`ll be in Japan for five more months, possibly longer. I already have a contract with Softbank, but need a new phone.
by noelle22 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: US iPhone for use in Japan with Softbank? 2015/3/17 01:34
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. You'll probably have to buy an unlocked iPhone directly from Apple (or T-Mobile) for ~$700+ or second hand.

I think you can buy unlocked in Japan too, but I heard it's difficult to get at the moment (iPhone 6). Another downside is you can't silence the camera if you buy it here (at least not without jailbreaking it).
by aether rate this post as useful

Re: US iPhone for use in Japan with Softbank? 2015/3/17 11:25
In that case I'd consider getting an unlocked verizon iphone and using that in Japan and then the US when you return. As long as it is unlocked it will work on both networks. Also I understand that verizon tends to be picky with allowing devices on their network so I've seen it recommended to get a verizon device if you ever plan to use verizon's network. It will work on other networks too.

Re: US iPhone for use in Japan with Softbank? 2015/3/17 19:12
I dont think Verizon's iPhones come unlocked though, do they?
by aether rate this post as useful

Re: US iPhone for use in Japan with Softbank? 2015/3/22 09:11
Check out this page. Seems many verizon phones are either easily unlocked or come unlocked out of the box:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/aboutus/commitment/safety-security/devi...

reply to this thread