Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Australian Mobiles in Japan 2015/3/22 08:09
I am planning to travel to Japan as a party of three. Our concern is being separated and having to communicate. We currently have these phones:

Samsung S3 I9305 - 4G LTE 800 / 1800 / 2600 (Bands 3, 7, 20)
Nokia E63 - 3G UMTS 900 / 2100

Firstly, I understand that you can only get a DATA sim in Japan. So we could buy 3 DATA sims and use Skype/WhatsApp.

However, as the 3G bands align, could we use Australian International Roaming to send SMS or make voice call?
by RS (guest)  

Re: Australian Mobiles in Japan 2015/3/22 11:18
Firstly, I understand that you can only get a DATA sim in Japan. So we could buy 3 DATA sims and use Skype/WhatsApp.

Voice-only and Voice+data sims are also sold/rented. Data-only is generally cheaper though.

However, as the 3G bands align, could we use Australian International Roaming to send SMS or make voice call?

Yes. It's the easiest option, but also the most expensive.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Australian Mobiles in Japan 2015/3/22 19:59
Hi OP here:

With these handsets (with bands written above) in Japan will I be able to communicate via SMS?

Thanks,

RS.
by RS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Australian Mobiles in Japan 2015/3/22 23:00
Yes, but SMS requires a voice SIM, it does not work with data-only ones.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Australian Mobiles in Japan 2015/3/23 10:12
3G International Roaming with Australian phone companies Optus and Telstra work fine in Japan. Japanese SIM cards are unlikely to work in your phones. I brought over an Australian Samsung G3 and was told that Japanese SIM cards won't work in this phone because they're a different size. I had to buy a new phone! I think it's the same with Nokia, the only phone I know of that can work with Japanese SIM cards is the iPhone 5. If you're here short term your best option is to use International Roaming although it's very expensive. Just switch it off or put it in Flight mode when you're not making calls to avoid excess roaming charges. You can also use Skype via Wi-Fi. Public WiFi hotspots in Japan are pretty limited but at least your hotel would have WiFi.
by jennjett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Australian Mobiles in Japan 2015/3/23 13:01
Provided your phones are unlocked, they will all work in Japan.

You've shown the following:
Samsung S3 I9305 - 4G LTE 800 / 1800 / 2600 (Bands 3, 7, 20)

But the Samsung S3 I9305 also has the following:
3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100

Since all phones have 2100MHz UMTS/3G, they will work in Japan.
Make sure you get the right sized SIM, however.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Australian Mobiles in Japan 2015/3/23 13:05
Quote:
" Japanese SIM cards are unlikely to work in your phones. I brought over an Australian Samsung G3 and was told that Japanese SIM cards won't work in this phone because they're a different size. I had to buy a new phone! I think it's the same with Nokia, the only phone I know of that can work with Japanese SIM cards is the iPhone 5."

This information is not correct. SIMs come in 3 sizes, you must select the right size. (Standard, Micro & Nano)

Re: Australian Mobiles in Japan 2015/3/23 13:18
Sandy, when I moved here I took my Australian Samsung Galaxy III to both Docomo and Softbank and they both said it was incompatible with their SIM cards.
by jennjett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Australian Mobiles in Japan 2015/3/23 13:22
SIMs come in 3 sizes, you must select the right size. (Standard, Micro & Nano)

And those sizes are standardized worldwide. FYI, it is also possible to cut down a larger sim to fit it into a device calling for a smaller sim, or vice a versa using an adapter.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Australian Mobiles in Japan 2015/3/24 12:39
"Sandy, when I moved here I took my Australian Samsung Galaxy III to both Docomo and Softbank and they both said it was incompatible with their SIM cards. "

jennjet, whatever they told you is simply not true.
However, it sounds like you came to Japan for longer than a tourist visit, and DoCoMo will not sell you just the SIM, and most Softbank shops won't either.

So with the operators:
1. DoCoMo won't sell you SIM only, so they say you can't get a SIM.
2. Softbank Roppongi WILL sell you a SIM, but they won't sell it to you is you want to use it in a Samsung Galaxy SIII, because it's not an "approved" phone on the Softbank network.

However, if you had put in a B-Mobile or So-Net SIM (which are on sold DoCoMo SIMs, they would have worked perfectly well for data.

One other possibility:
If they asked you if your Samsung Galaxy SIII was unlocked and you said "I don't know", then they will assume it's locked, so it won't work with their SIMs.
However, the story about "the wrong size SIM" is not correct, since there are 3 sizes.

reply to this thread