Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Another cell phone question 2015/3/23 11:10
I REALLY want to have access to google maps,my financial institutions and of course Japan Guide While in Tokyo/Hiroshima and Kyoto.

I have a Verizon Iphone and have looked at there global plan. which looks ok, but could get expensive.

Does anyone have experience with it?

What about portable wifi?

Experiences welcome!

:)
by Will Lazarus  

Re: Another cell phone question 2015/3/24 03:18
I would lean towards portable wifi. It costs about the same price, usually has unlimited data, and if you aren't traveling alone, you can share your wifi. Skype is usable for the occasional phone call, and you have your messaging apps and/or imessage.
by aether rate this post as useful

Re: Another cell phone question 2015/3/26 01:05
Depends a lot on your length of stay, but as a comparison.

If you have multiple devices(phone, tablet, laptop, etc.) or if you're traveling with someone else then the mifi setup will work better. Usually you can connect 5 devices per mifi and they have a decent range. Upsides are that they usually have unlimited data, you can connect multiple things, and it means that you don't have to rely on lodging wifi. Downside is that it's one more thing to carry and charge every night, and it can get surprisingly hot if you're keeping it in a pocket or bag.

If you're willing to rely on lodging wifi for the heavy lifting and just want to use your phone to facebook on the train and look up maps/reviews on the go, and/or you're traveling solo, the prepaid sims can be a good deal. Upsides are not having to carry another bit of plastic in your gear and not having to charge it up every night. Downsides are (usually) limited data, only having the 1 device always connected, and keeping track of your old sim.

They do offer short term(2 wks?) unlimited data sims, but they are more pricey. It really comes down to balancing length of stay, number of devices, primary use(streaming vs. text/pictures [youtube vs facebook/maps]) against the costs.
by brett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Another cell phone question 2015/3/26 09:12
I only want to be able to use maps, travel apps, and maybe post a few things to facebook....that's all.

So Sim card? I REALLY do not want to lug around another plastic box if I can help it.

by Will Lazarus rate this post as useful

Re: Another cell phone question 2015/3/26 09:18
For a SIM card, your phone has to be unlocked.
by Firas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread