Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Michelin star restaurants in Tokyo 2015/4/2 15:52
Hello,

I wonder if you knowledgable people can help to recommend me somewhere fabulous to eat in Tokyo. I fancy going somewhere that has a Michelin star. I'd like it to be affordable, welcoming to tourists (I speak a little Japanese but struggle with kanji), and open on Mondays, either for lunch or dinner.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Katie
by Katiej (guest)  

Re: Michelin star restaurants in Tokyo 2015/4/2 17:55
I recommend:

Narisawa (Dinner 20000 ~)
La Bombance (Dinner 10000 ~)
Ryugin (Dinner 20000 ~)
Kagurazaka Ishikawa (Dinner 16000 ~)

But affordable is subjective and Michelin starred restaurants are always going to be fairly pricy.

by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

Re: Michelin star restaurants in Tokyo 2015/4/3 15:44
Thanks for those, I will check them out.

Yep I agree that the affordable is subjective, I guess I meant at the cheaper end of the Michelin scale, and good value for what you get.

Thanks
by Katiej (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Michelin star restaurants in Tokyo 2015/4/4 08:35
One time I was at the bookstore I found a book that lists all the Michelin-starred restaurants in Tokyo, along with their prices and a little bit about the food at each one.

I mention this because probably no one reading this board has been to all 150 Michelin-starred restaurants in town, so that book might be a good starting point.

Personally I quite like Kikunoi in Akasaka.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Michelin star restaurants in Tokyo 2015/4/4 10:54
For what it's worth...... 10 Michelin starred restaurants are discussed in an article on this site http://theculturetrip.com/asia/japan/articles/the-culinary-capital-of-...

And to make it more confusing..... here is a list of all restaurants listed in the Michelin, the list shows which ones have stars and which ones have a Bib Gourmand award. The site provides info on prices as well as a link to their website.
http://gm.gnavi.co.jp/restaurant/list/tokyo

Quoting from the Michelin website: A "Bib Gourmand" recognizes those establishments offering quality food at affordable price and for this (2015) edition the limit is 5,000 JPY or less. The Bib Gourmand awards also reflect the continuing trend for competitively priced, less structured and more flexible dining.

Bon Appetit!

by Dutch Ann rate this post as useful

Re: Michelin star restaurants in Tokyo 2015/4/5 01:52
10 Michelin starred restaurants are discussed in an article on this site

Really - did you think that that article was worth the time it took to read it? I didn't get the impression that the author had eaten at any of those restaurants - it seemed to be stitched together from random internet commentary. Or, really, typical content farm output.

Which is a waste of time because there is an actual book that reviews every single Michelin-starred restaurant in Tokyo, and if you're going to spend that much money on one dinner, you can certainly invest the small fraction of that budget for the book.

On the other hand, the "Bib Gourmand" restaurants in the other link are all very affordable, and many provide decent value for money, but they're not "Michelin-starred" restaurants. Of the more than 100,000 restaurants in Tokyo, they're mostly above-average, but I'm not sure that I'd go to one during a short visit to Tokyo solely based on the fact that they were listed in a Michelin Bib Gourmand book. Simply because the average level of restaurants here is so good.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Michelin star restaurants in Tokyo 2015/4/7 15:03
I don't bother about starred restaurants in Japan.
What's important to me are the food portions which are very small in Japan.
My favorites are Shabu shabu chains where you can eat unlimited delicious meat, vegetables and noodles for about Y2000-3000.
by moonwalk (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Michelin star restaurants in Tokyo 2015/4/7 15:42
Depends whether you eat to live or live to eat!
Gurunavi website listed above is excellent. Lunch is usually significantly cheaper for the starred restaurants. At the other end of the price range there are 22 ramen places in Tokyo with a Bib Gourmand!
by japandunce (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Michelin star restaurants in Tokyo 2015/4/9 14:41
With over 250 Michelin starred restaurants in Tokyo, there is no obvious answer. On the more affordable side, I'd recommend:
- Atelier de Joel Robouchon **
- Itosho *
- Liberte au Table de Takeda *
by George (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread