Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Food/Restaurant App 2015/4/13 02:08
Hi,

My boyfriend and I will be travelling to Japan from May 14 - 28 to the following destinations: Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Naoshima, Koyasan, Nikko and Hakone.

There are so many food options and we would like to be flexible to trying authentic Japanese restaurants wherever we are. I was wondering if anyone had comparable experiences with using any of these food/restaurant apps on their trips: Tripadvisor, Yelp, Foursquare, or any other suggestions.

I don't really want to have all three apps on my phone so I wanted to get some opinions on which would be best to use in the regions we're travelling to.

Thanks!
by jessicatkho  

Re: Japan Food/Restaurant App 2015/4/13 09:32
Bento.com covers the first four cities on your list, with English-language reviews of restaurants.

Personally I haven't had much luck with Tripadvisor - at one point the highest-ranked restaurant in my town was a cat cafe that didn't even serve food.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Food/Restaurant App 2015/4/13 10:49
This is a news flash! The website, Tabelog, is now available in English. It is not an app, but is a website, similar to Yelp. It is, by far, the most comprehensive review site for restaurants in Japan. I have used it, using Google translate, in the past, and it was cumbersome, but I did it anyway. I have only used it a little bit today, in the english site, but it works quite well. This, I think, trumps any other Japanese restaurant review site or app anywhere.

You can rank ramen places by review score in Kumamoto ken, or look for izakaya in Onomichi city, or list all Yakitori in Tokyo, for example. Search by name. etc...

If you're a foodie like me, this is heaven.

http://tabelog.com/en/

Dale
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Food/Restaurant App 2015/4/16 10:14
Awesome, this will come in handy for us during our trip, thanks for the tip!
by jessicatkho rate this post as useful

reply to this thread