Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shipping a replica sword home 2015/4/13 06:51
Hi! I'm planning to visit Miyajima in mid-July. There is a smal shop there that deals in replica swords among a bunch of other stuff. The swords cost about 10,000 yen a piece and are replicas of the swords of various Daimyo such as Date Masamune.

I am potentially planning to purchase one to ship back to America.

I have two questions in regard to this idea.

First of all, I heard that there are special rules regarding shipping swords outside of Japan. I heard that you cannot ship swords made before 1945 outside of the country, and I am uncertain as to recently-made replica swords. In short, I'm really clueless as to the rules regarding shipping swords to America or anything else.

As for my second question, If I am allowed to bring a sword back to America, what is the best way to get it there? I will have two fifty-pound checked bags on the flight home; is it possible to include a boxed sword as a checked item? Or should I just ship it home by post?

I would really appreciate an answer to these questions!

Thanks!
by Ammon  

Re: Shipping a replica sword home 2015/4/13 14:13
First of all, I heard that there are special rules regarding shipping swords outside of Japan. I heard that you cannot ship swords made before 1945 outside of the country, and I am uncertain as to recently-made replica swords. In short, I'm really clueless as to the rules regarding shipping swords to America or anything else.

Replica swords are ok to export. Definitely check your local state laws too, they may have restrictions on things like replica swords.

As for my second question, If I am allowed to bring a sword back to America, what is the best way to get it there? I will have two fifty-pound checked bags on the flight home; is it possible to include a boxed sword as a checked item? Or should I just ship it home by post?

Check it. Even better if it fits inside one of your suitcases.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Shipping a replica sword home 2015/4/13 15:19
Replica katana can be shipped or taken home if the shop issues a certificate which shows not included materials of iron, carbon steel to be sharped the edge. I recommend you to buy your replica katana where the shop issues such certificate (prefer in English).

You must keep the replica katana in hard case always and well sealed in/out Japan. You are not allowed to open the replica katana in public spaces in JP. It will be against the Japanese firearms control law if you have opened in public spaces.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread