Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Required lunch with Japanese students? 2015/5/7 14:15
Every interview / job application I fill out requires that I have lunch with my students. Why do they all require I do this? What is it like? is it awkward? are there other teachers around that do this?
by alexg94  

Re: Required lunch with Japanese students? 2015/5/7 14:49
Although I have not eaten lunch with students at a Japanese school, I've done this when I used to teach in my home country.

It's nothing big - it's just adult supervision specifically if it's a MS or HS. You will eat your packed lunch and so will the kids. Students may choose to speak to you - or they may not. It's really up to how you set it up.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Required lunch with Japanese students? 2015/5/7 14:50
Are you talking about the job for teaching English to Japanese students? What kind of school? (Not private language school but public school? Elementary? Junior High, or High school, for example?)

by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Required lunch with Japanese students? 2015/5/7 14:54
Probably elementary/md/hs... either one.. all ALT.
i feel like it might be awkward
by alexg94 rate this post as useful

Re: Required lunch with Japanese students? 2015/5/7 16:05
It's pretty usual for ALT positions at JHS and below to be asked to eat kyushoku with the students. I haven't done it myself, but it shouldn't be particularly burdensome besides losing a bit of personal time.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Required lunch with Japanese students? 2015/5/7 18:43
I don't know what kind of a job you are applying for, but I suppose they're trying to make you understand the importance of having meals with your students.

It's like going to a barbeque party and eating alone, or attending a Christmas dinner and eating alone, or one of the teachers at Hogwarts always dismissing her/himself when they're supposed to eat at the dining room with Harry Potter and the gang.

Sharing a room/table at meal time is a believed to be a good way to feel close to others, to know the real them and work as a communication tool especially when you can't communicate much with language.

Perhaps your new job will not force you to have lunch with them at all times, but I guess they're trying to say, "Be prepared that it's not something you're supposed to ignore." especially because in places like the U.S. you usually don't have the custom of sitting down for lunch with the whole class.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Required lunch with Japanese students? 2015/5/7 23:44
it is a good opportunity to communicate with young students in non-teaching time.
public school in Japan is the place not only to teach academic subjects, but also to lead students to become good persons.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Required lunch with Japanese students? 2015/5/8 09:29
it depend on the school. most elementary school will rdquest the ALT to eat lunch with students whether in the classroom or at lunch hall. school will rotate the classes. and yes the homeroom teacher will be around.
as for jhs most will have ALT eat lunch at teacher's room, either on your own seat or together with other teachers.
the paper just to let you know that you may have to eat lunch with students. it's up to each school to decide.
you are applying for ALT position aren't you.
eikaiwa instructor will be kind of weird.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Required lunch with Japanese students? 2015/5/8 09:34
Pretty much all ALTs in Elementary and Junior High schools are expected to eat lunch with their students. At Japanese schools they have kyushoku every day, when a class prepares a meal and serves it to the whole school. Teachers are expected to eat it because it sets a good example for the students about nutrition and eating habits. It's also a good chance to bond with your students in a more relaxed setting - many students will feel more comfortable talking to you at lunch time than in the classroom. Some classes might even invite you to eat lunch with them which is considered an honour because it means the kids want to learn more about you! Before coming to Japan I was scared about kyushoku as I'm a vegetarian and can't eat a lot of Japanese foods, but luckily for me I work at a High School where it doesn't happen. Most High Schools don't have kyushoku so if you're really that worried about it try to get a job at a HS.
by jennjett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Required lunch with Japanese students? 2015/5/8 09:49
thanks for the replies! how do kids usually tend to be? are they open and friendly? looks like for me it'll be elementary / JHS.. probably not high school
by alexg94 rate this post as useful

Re: Required lunch with Japanese students? 2015/5/8 10:01
Yes, like I said above they are much more likely to freely interact with you at lunch time because it's a more casual setting. All the entertaining conversations my ALT friends have had with their students have happened at lunch time.
by jennjett (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread