Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Purchase coin turtles as gift? 2004/12/29 04:58
Last summer while visiting Canada,I learned of a lovely Japanese tradition whereby friends present new homeowners with a gift of handcrafted coins tied into the shape of turtles for longevity. I would like to purhcase a pair but cannot find any reference to them on the Internet. Looking for someone who can help me find, purchase, and ship them. Thank you!
by Help! Purchase coin turtles as gift?  

ummm 2004/12/30 11:56
Is this what you are talking about? This is on an auction on a Japanese site (sorry this one's for Japan only, and I haven't been able to spot any regular shop selling it), I guess you can see the images (scroll to the bottom)?

http://bidders.auction.biglobe.ne.jp/item/31093203

To me this is more for prosperity, strictly in the sense of finance, as it is made really of 5-yen coins... it is called "money turtle," and I guess people's tastes differ, but hanging REAL coins (imagine something made of US pennies hanging at your entrance) as ornament may not sit well with some... I don't know. But never seen it in any home.
by AK rate this post as useful

Yes, AK, those are the turtles! 2004/12/30 12:49
Yes, that is exactly what I am looking for. My mom saw them at our Canadian friend's home and wants them. It is the perfect opportunity to buy them for her, if I can find them, because she is moving this summer to a new home after 30+ years in her old one. Is there anyone you can ask about these turtles since the bidding is for Japan only? Maybe other of your friends may know where I can obtain them? Thank you so very much! Having the picture helps me explain to others who may have knowledge!
by Jennifer rate this post as useful

... 2004/12/30 14:14
Oh, good to hear that the image helps at least! :) This auction ends on Jan. 3 at night (Japan standard time) so save the image if you can?

I would have asked the seller if they ship it outside Japan and all that... but I'm not registered on this "bidders" auction site, and can't even use "ask the seller a question" feature of it... I'll post again if I find it again on another auction site that I'm registered with, or anywhere else :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2004/12/31 01:20
Yes, I would appreciate that greatly. Even with the correct name, "money turtle," I am still not able to find anything like it on the Internet = strange! I did save the pictures. Thank you very much.
by Jennifer rate this post as useful

chinese money turtle 2008/1/21 02:23
I just wanted to let you know that I had found some money turtles sitting on coins on Ebay if that's what you're looking for.
Lots of luck.
Mona
by Mona rate this post as useful

coin turtle 2008/1/21 14:12
You can make it by yourself.
http://www.kanzawa.com/coin/coin.htm
by Craftsman rate this post as useful

reply to this thread