Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Company dinner 2015/5/8 16:38
Hi guys,

My company will be hosting an annual dinner at a hotel at the end of this month. I've just learned today that the menu consist of lamb on that night. I don't eat lamb for personal reasons (and I don't want to force myself to eat it only to make myself sick). How should I behave appropriately at the dinner table that night?

My boss/superior will most likely be on the same table as me. I don't mind not eating but I'm afraid this will upset my boss and colleagues. Japanese are also known to not leave leftovers on their plates (if I'm not wrong) as they were taught this from young. Can I gently refuse the fare and return the dish before touching it but risk looking like an idiot with an empty dinner? I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb at the table.

Or should I just take it, but take only a few bites? It will seem like I'm wasting food and not appreciating my boss treating us to dinner though.

Anyone have any similar experience here? Please understand that I'm not a picky eater, but it just so happened that of all the food and meat in this world, it has to be that one thing I don't eat that goes on the menu.
by MS (guest)  

Re: Company dinner 2015/5/8 16:56
How about talking to them beforehand?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Company dinner 2015/5/8 17:19
If it's a full-course, served plate-by-plate, at a decent hotel, they could arrange for a substitute for you... it would be better you talk to your boss (or boss's secretary, or whoever is arranging the dinner) in advance.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Company dinner 2015/5/8 18:20
You say it's an "annual dinner." I'm sure there are others who don't eat lamb, especially because the majority of Japanese people aren't used to eating lamb in the first place, and many who have simply don't like it.

Talk to your closest colleague to see how you can request for alternatives. In modern Japan, it's not common to force certain foods to people anyway.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Company dinner 2015/5/8 20:44
Thanks for all your replies. I've personally talked to the person in charge, so it's all good.
by MS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Company dinner 2015/5/9 07:04
Company dinners in hotels normally accept to offer different menu with in the budget for those who can not eat the dish, switching lamb to pork, beef, chicken or fish if the boss or someone in charge of the dinner to tell the hotel staff in advance.
The service also apply to wedding party or sometimes funeral service without any extra charge incurred. But, it must be informed in advance.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread