Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Help finding orphanage in Tokyo 2015/5/16 20:57
I was born in Japan, adopted as a toddler by a German couple who used to live in Tokyo.

I moved with my parents to Germany but right now, reside in Tokyo.

I really would like to visit my orphanage (if it still exists, it was over twenty years ago when we moved!).

But there are some problems. We do have some official documents but they are back in Germany, my parents can't read Japanese, I can read some but not enough. They cannot decipher what part is the address and whatnot and send a scan/photo.

I hope they find some English/German translation with the address of the orphanage.

The family register (koseki?) was issued by Musashino City, so I assume the orphanage is/was there. My parents also disovered a picture with the name of a small playground across the orphanage. It was called 松山児童遊園

►But that is all what we have now.

Another clue we do have is the really old address from my primary caretaker. Is there a way I can look if she still lives there (provided she is still alive?)?

I mean, I could just sent a letter but my Japanese is too bad for that. XD

Thank you!
by asahana (guest)  

Re: Help finding orphanage in Tokyo 2015/5/17 10:15
松山児童遊園 is there in 杉並区 in Tokyo.
the address is 阿佐谷北3丁目35番2号.
if you look the above address by google map, there is 聖友学園.
http://www.fukunavi.or.jp/fukunavi/controller?cmd=sbrhjn_dt&actionID=j...
社会福祉法人 聖友ホーム 東京都杉並区阿佐谷北3丁目28番19号

I believe that is the place you want to find out.
phone is 03-3338-1844 for orphanage (elder)
03-3338-1849 is for orphanage for babies.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help finding orphanage in Tokyo 2015/5/17 11:04
Matsuyama Children's Park(松山児童公園) locates in Suginami, Tokyo, which is next city to Musashino city.

Seiyu-Gakuen locates opposite the park.
http://www.seiyuhomu.or.jp/g-top.html

So I suppose your Koseki was registered in Musashino city where your birth parents were there at the time, and grown in Suginami probably.

I often visit near the orphanage and park, and they both still exist. I think the name of orphanage was used to be called "Seiyu-Home" and the park is called Matsuyama Park(松山公園). From my memory, the building of Seiyu-Home was re-built in 1987. I'm not sure how old you are but if you were born before 1987, your memory of the bldg is different.

It's about 15-20 mins from Asagaya station, locate in side street of a shopping street called "Matsuyama-dori, Koyukai". Koyukai is the commercial association of "Matsuyama-dori-shopping street".
My old friend's family used to live in Matsuyama-dori-shopping street and I still often visit there(I think my friend still live there but unsure). So I know the area quite well.

So my conclusion is that you were registered in Musashino city and brought to Suginami city which is next to Musashino city, and grown up in Seiyu-home(currently called "Seiyu-Gakuen"), and then adopted.

I don't think any of staff will reveal personal profile of former staff while you were there. The only thing I can consider is that visit Suginami city office, which is right opposite Tokyo metro Minami-Asagaya station, then hand your physical address and a letter or so for the caregiver. The staff of Suginami city might hand your address and letter to the caregiver. But you can not expect any returns.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Help finding orphanage in Tokyo 2015/5/17 11:28
Thank you both for the detailed responses

I certainly wasn't planning on asking for information from the orphanage staff about my former caretaker.

I just have this old (from the 90s) address (letter addressed to me) with the full name of my primary caretaker and wanted to ask if there was a service or an internet page if I could check they still live there.

I was born in 1988 and don't know my birthparents (they abandonded me) so I guess I was found in Musashino city.
by Asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help finding orphanage in Tokyo 2015/5/17 11:57
I don't think anybody reveal any information about your caretaker there.
I went to a local primary school in Tokyo, so I like to make a contact with my former teachers but they don't. This is because they strictly protect their staff's profile these days.
I think you used to called the caretaker such as "Saito sensei" or something like " ++ sensei" there. Those people live in orphanage normally call the staff as "sensei".
If you make an account in this website, you can send me a direct message. I can send you the other information if you are interested and send me a direct message.

Re: Help finding orphanage in Tokyo 2015/5/17 15:16
If you want to have your Koseki translated, the Japanese Consulate will do an official one for you so long as the date of issue of the koseki is within 6 months of requested translation. You can request a current certified copy of koseki from Musashino City if that is where you said it was originally issued in the koseki you possess. It would really help to have a Japanese friend to help read the forms.

I don't know if it will help you, if possibly in that koseki it may state the name of your biological parents, but right on the top of the certificate it usually states the permanent address that was listed at the time the certificate was issued, if no address changes were made, then the original address or last known address should be on there.

1988 in the Japanese calendar would be the birth year: 63rd year of the Showa Era.
by K box rate this post as useful

Re: Help finding orphanage in Tokyo 2015/5/17 22:32
what is your true purpose ?
find out orphanage ?
find out the caretaker ?
find out your old history ?

Re: Help finding orphanage in Tokyo 2015/5/18 17:00
Just re-visiting my old orphanage and maybe contacting my old caretaker.

I have no desire to know who my birthparents are
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help finding orphanage in Tokyo 2015/5/18 20:46
"Just re-visiting my old orphanage and maybe contacting my old caretaker."
you already know the address of orphanage. just visit there.
it is 社会福祉法人, shakai-fukushi-houjin, one of Non-Profit Organizations certified by the government. I am sure that they will welcome you and be very happy to hear from you. I think they have been keeping their employee's list. (they are requested to report all of employees to the local office every year. ) you just show the letter you have. they will help you, if the caretaker already resigned.

I think you have a complete set of the old documents. if you want to know what information in those documents in advance, it is better to contact to "tokyo friend 48". I think he is a very kind Japanese.

Re: Help finding orphanage in Tokyo 2015/5/18 22:02
Guten Abend. My, how young you are. I'm probably about your parents' age and, to me, 1988 is not that way back at all. I used to live in Musashino-shi just about that time and the 28-year-old wooden apartment we lived in is still there. I'm pretty sure you can pinpoint the place if you have an address in the residential area. You can even Google Street View. But the Japanese tend to move around and old houses do tend to be rebuilt. Anyway, Musashino-shi and Suginami-ku are both nice places to enjoy a stroll.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help finding orphanage in Tokyo 2015/5/18 22:29
I plan to visit my old orphanage...

funny thing is, I do live in Suginami-ku right now. Full circle, eh?

Probably making an account and contacting tokyo friend.
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help finding orphanage in Tokyo 2015/8/10 07:24
hey, I visited Seiyu-home and Matsuyama koen park recently and took some pictures there.
If you are keen, send me a direct message then I will show them.

reply to this thread