Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Google Maps stopped displaying Romaji 2015/5/19 17:18
Hey all,

I have a kind of weird problem with Google Maps since yesterday (was working perfectly fine the first few days). When I search for directions with public transport (Tokyo) google Maps used to show me the Romaji station names and the direction of the train i need to take (e.g. oedo line to shinjuku). But this suddenly stopped - now Google Maps is almost exclusively displaying the station names and direction in Kanji(?) with a few exceptions. This issue occurred on my Android Smartphone but also on my Macbook regardless.

I have no idea what's going on - I am now in Kyoto and have the same behaviour (which is kind of upsetting as I was relying on Google Maps and Hyperdia so far but preferred Google Maps for short distances).

Does anyone have a clue how to "fix" this? I've already did some googleing but no solution so far.

Cheers,
Patrick
by huntayo (guest)  

Re: Google Maps stopped displaying Romaji 2015/5/19 19:12
I am not familiar with the Android app. As for the website, which URL do you type in your browser (i.e., do you type maps.google.com or .co.jp, or what)? Also, what is the language of your browser? Are you logged in with a Google account?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Google Maps stopped displaying Romaji 2015/5/19 19:35
It has decided to be "helpful" and geo-located you to Japan. If you are using a browser for google maps, look down near the bottom and click on the maps.google.com link. This will set you back to the default maps.google.com English website.

If you are using an app, not sure what to do about that. Sorry.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Google Maps stopped displaying Romaji 2015/5/20 20:53
I've been in Tokyo and other places in Japan for two months now, using Google Maps on my laptop and on my Nexus 5 (Android) to navigate public transport. About 24 hours ago, the Tokyo station names ceased to display in Romaji, and now only display their Japanese characters. Very frustrating now trying to navigate, and I noticed after I had boarded a train from Hino to Ueno this morning.

Apparently I see that Google updated their Maps system across the board yesterday.
by lbunni (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Google Maps stopped displaying Romaji 2015/5/20 22:09
I am in Japan (though not in Tokyo) and I have romaji on both the Google Maps website and the iPhone app.
by Firas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread