Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

iphone 6 unlock in akihabara 2015/5/24 00:24
hello everyone,

i bought an used docomo iphone6.

i just discovered today that docomo will not unlock iphone if they were not purchased after the 5 of may, date of new mobile contract law.
was very surprised that some of the employee didn't even know anything about this law!!!

it happen of course that soon and then i have to go back to my country to visit family and so on...

now...since i do really not want to spend money on another phone, does anyone knows where i can find a good and trustable place in akihabara who offers this special service for a reasonable price???

thank you all in advance for your support!!!

by sbranzo  

Re: iphone 6 unlock in akihabara 2015/5/24 21:08
You can try ebay for remote unlocking, there are other problem, since apple uses a very secure protection on most iphones, and if the phone has not been cleared, it could also be locked with the previous users apple's id and email through the apple security system which is very hard to reset.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: iphone 6 unlock in akihabara 2015/5/24 22:32
thank you for your answer,

i checked today in akihabara but seems no one offer this service, or at least i didn't find any...

on ebay i didn't find anything at reasonable price, the shame is on DOCOMO who pretend not to know the laws and unlock only phones purchased after 5 of may. really can't understand what's the problem with japanese carrier.

as far as i know is a procedure that takes 10 minutes, did it on ebay with an old iphone4 locked to an australian carrier.

too bad i can't used my iphone6 in my country ;(
by sbranzo rate this post as useful

Re: iphone 6 unlock in akihabara 2015/5/25 11:46
i just discovered today that docomo will not unlock iphone if they were not purchased after the 5 of may, date of new mobile contract law.

That's not correct. They've unlocked iphone since April 2011. The effect of the new law is that the process can now be automated and is free (for phones bought after May 5th).

was very surprised that some of the employee didn't even know anything about this law!!!

It's an extremely uncommon procedure, and as you probably realize is quite new in the Japanese industry as a whole.

now...since i do really not want to spend money on another phone, does anyone knows where i can find a good and trustable place in akihabara who offers this special service for a reasonable price???

If you bought a used Docomo iphone then you are probably out of luck getting a factory unlock. They reportedly won't do factory unlocks for anyone but the original subscriber.

You can try jailbreaking...

the shame is on DOCOMO who pretend not to know the laws and unlock only phones purchased after 5 of may. really can't understand what's the problem with japanese carrier.

While the unlocking rules in Japan aren't great, they've actually made great strides the past few months with regards to the issue. And frankly this might even be time for celebrations as it could be a watershed moment. Let's hope it just get's better from here.

Btw, do your homework ahead of time next time. It seems you weren't fully aware of what you were getting into purchasing a used, LOCKED phone.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: iphone 6 unlock in akihabara 2015/5/27 02:34
i might misunderstood as well the law.

anyway i really can't understand all of this drama around japanese carriers.

but main question is still unsolved...

no place who offer this "speciale" service in the small shop in akihabara???

by sbranzo rate this post as useful

Re: iphone 6 unlock in akihabara 2015/5/27 08:31
Phone unlocking service in japan is not widely available like other countries. As I did mention, ebay is one option, or you can try those magic sim, but does not always work.

You can try google whether they are available in Japan.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: iphone 6 unlock in akihabara 2015/5/28 15:41
I'm not finding brick and mortar stores that offer this service in Japan, but there are a few online shops that claim to be able to factory unlock almost all versions of Japanese iphones. I don't want to recommend anything specific though as they're all pretty dodgy looking. The main problem is that you may have to send out your phone for 1-2 weeks and the fees I saw were high enough (20000-35000 yen) that you're probably better off getting a new phone instead.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread