Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hooking up TV 2015/5/26 18:02
Can anyone explain how the TV here works?

My TV has 2 antenna plugs.
1. 地上デジタル
2. BS / 110CS

Which one do I need to plug my TV into or both? I tested both and it seems the same to me, but there's probably something I'm missing.

After plugging it in, I only seem to have access to 3-4 channels, 2 of them are QVC / shopping. The higher channels require that I plug in a B-CAS card which my TV did come with. Should I plug that in? Will it charge me a monthly fee?
by aether  

Re: Hooking up TV 2015/5/26 20:35
b-cas card is necessary to watch TV.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hooking up TV 2015/5/26 21:54
http://www.soumu.go.jp/main_sosiki/joho_tsusin/dtv/english/how_en.html

2 things to check :
- Are you living in a house (own antenna) or apartment
(shared/communal antenna).
- What's your TV make/model?

1. 地上デジタル
Read as Chijō dejitaru OR Chideji for short.
This is standard terrestrial digital TV broadcast, free to air TV.
You need to hook it up to a UHF antenna. Also, you need a Blue B-Cas card.

2. BS / 110CS
This is the so call satellite digital TV , require the parabola antenna dish. Also require Red B-Cas Card.
Some channel are frees (you pay the yearly reception fees) and others channel need subscription fees.

After plugging it in, I only seem to have access to 3-4 channels, 2 of them are QVC / shopping.
Seems like you plug-in to BS/CS satellite broadcast.
Make sure you connect the correct cable/antenna line to correct antenna plug. Also make sure you have the B-Cas card in as well.

Will it charge me a monthly fee?
The reception fee is 13,600 yen per year for terrestrial and 24,090 yen per year for both terrestrial and satellite.

Most people just skip/ignore paying the fee.

Be aware that you might get a visit from the NHK Fee collector.

They can be quite persistent in asking you to pay the fees.
Once you paid, there'll be a sticker which you can put on your house to show that fee are paid.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hooking up TV 2015/5/26 22:04
Thanks,

My TV is a Sony BRAVIA KDL-32W.

I'm in a mansion, so I assume the antenna is communal. I'm just plugging it into the outlet in the wall.
by aether rate this post as useful

Re: Hooking up TV 2015/5/26 22:27
OK. Sony BRAVIA KDL-32W. Communal apato antenna,in that case 地上デジタル chideji/ terrestrial broadcast only.

BS/CS you'll need to buy your own dish antenna.
http://kakaku.com/kaden/antenna-others/ranking_2058/

Hook the cable to your chideji 地上デジタル antenna plug.
Make sure the Red B-Cas card is in, and do channel search setting automatically. you should received terrestrial digital broadcast, should be at least 6-7 channels or more depends on where you are.

Re: Hooking up TV 2015/5/26 22:58
Got it, thank you!

Re: Hooking up TV 2015/5/28 04:47
Quick update,

I plugged in the red B-CAS card and now I have maybe 100+ channels. Is this right? I tried switching between the 2 antenna inputs but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference?

Re: Hooking up TV 2015/5/28 11:30
http://goo.gl/44BMDw
your red B-Cas should be same as above, it's for both Terrestrial and Satellite .

Although you may see 100+ channel but are all channel with picture?
Some just blank/black and some channel require subscription in order to watch it. I think you are on satellite BS/CS channels.

For Terrestrial, you should only be able to watch 6-7 channel free to air channel depends on your area.

Do you know that on the remote control there is a button to select Terrestrial 地デジ and BS/CS.
You need to select the Terrestrial 地デジ and BS/CS first, and then flick through the available channels.

Re: Hooking up TV 2015/5/29 04:25
I do get picture, but I realized it said I have a 2 week free trial. Should I just keep it plugged into the 地上デジタル then? The resolution of both inputs should be the same?

Thanks again!

Re: Hooking up TV 2015/5/29 08:47
I do get picture, but I realized it said I have a 2 week free trial.
You are watching the BS Sattelite broadcast (plug into BS/CS input?). It's usually the case for first timer.
On and off, BS/CS have free/open day where you can received some subscription channel for free, maybe a week or two but with notice box.

Should I just keep it plugged into the 地上デジタル then? The resolution of both inputs should be the same?
Note that BS/CSデジタル and 地上デジタル are 2 different broadcast.
In BS/CSデジタルyou can watch some channel from 地上デジタルbut not the other way around. BS/CSデジタル also includes subscription channel or pay per view channel.
地上デジタル is just your normal TV program. Both have the same digital resolution, and HD is dependent on program /show broadcast.

Were you hook on BS/CS input when get 100+ channel, 2 weeks trial ? How many wall plug do your mansion have ?
If your mansion have one wall plug but you can received BS/CS when hook into BS/CS input and 地デジwhen hook into 地デジ input, then your wall plug may have combination of BS/CS and 地デジ signal.

You will need a splitter to split the signal so that you have 2 line for the 2 input in your TV. BS/CS・地デジ対応スプリッターSplitter such as this.
http://goo.gl/0y90Lo

Setup like this link:
http://goo.gl/PMfikM

Re: Hooking up TV 2015/6/1 16:32
Thanks again. I do have 2 antenna outputs in the wall, so I'll just plug in both!

reply to this thread