Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Foreigner as a friend easy? 2015/6/3 01:40
im traveling alone to japan soon, and in my instagram, i have followed and got followed back by this japanese high school student. im planning to ask him for a tea when i travel in kyoto. however, i am afraid that this kind of meeting is not usual in japan and he would reject me. are japanese high school student easy going and easy be friend with foreigner ?
by calvin1991  

Re: Foreigner as a friend easy? 2015/6/3 12:13
If you do meet - then I'd suggest you meet at a public cafe or the like. This is probably one of the more common ways of people meeting in Japan.

On what Japanese high school students are like. It really depends on the kids. As I've taught kids in many countries - I've started to realise that kids are kids no matter where they are from.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Foreigner as a friend easy? 2015/6/3 20:01
It depends on the relationship between you and him.
I recommend you to take or ask him to take a mutual friends.
Nobody like to someone who is not well known unless it's a business purpose.
Online friends are online friends, physical friends are physical friends.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Foreigner as a friend easy? 2015/6/6 07:28
I've made FB and IG "friends" and, through time, we've estalished good relationships. When I go to Japan, I always meet them and enjoy a good time together. We usually meet for lunch or dinner and this last time, I was invited to one of my FB friend's home in Hiroshima to have dinner with his wife and children. That meant a lot to me and even though communication is not the best (my Japanese isn't very good and neither is their English), we have a good time and always look forward to the next meeting. When I meet people there, it seems I get an invitation to visit them again the following year. I have made friends with people in Hiroshima, Tokyo, Chiba, and Sapporo.

If you have a good relationship online, I don't see why it wouldn't transfer to real life. And who knows, you may become lifelong friends. If it doesn't happen, then maybe you can meet other people while you're there.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Foreigner as a friend easy? 2015/6/8 23:50
Actually, Japanese high school students are educated to be causcious about on-line relationships, so don't be offended if he declines your offer to meet up. It has nothing to do with being "easy-going."

Meanwhile, note that this "high school kid" can end up to be a fat middle-age bald guy trying to play tricks on you.

That said, Japanese high school kids do meet strangers, and when they do they usually take friends along. As suggested, meet at public places during the day.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Foreigner as a friend easy? 2015/6/13 01:04
So whats the update now?
Calvin1991, have you already met or not?
by soontobetokyogirl rate this post as useful

Re: Foreigner as a friend easy? 2015/6/14 02:08
If you are 25+ this is probably not a good idea. There is a lot of concern in Japan at the moment about older people grooming highschoolers online and arranging to meet them.

If you really want to meet him, get him to ask his parents if you can visit the family. Take the appropriate small gifts (omiyage) for everyone.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread