Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Data Sim, So-net 2015/6/3 23:37
Just a quick question, since I know there have been dozens of threads about this.

Econnect and other data SIM cards are not really "unlimited". They have daily/3-daily "fair us" policies, meaning you can only use about 130MB or so a day.

De So-net page is a bit more expensive but seems to offer faster connections and doesn't mention any fair use. Anyone know if fair use is valid for so-net?
by MilesVor  

Re: Data Sim, So-net 2015/6/5 10:41
Econnect and other data SIM cards are not really "unlimited". They have daily/3-daily "fair us" policies, meaning you can only use about 130MB or so a day.

Most high speed plans either have a 100mb/day high speed limit or enact something like a 1 gb/ 3 day limit before you get slowed down. YMMV, but for the average traveller 100 mb per day is more than plenty. Note that data sims on the emobile network also typically have a 10gb/month cap.

De So-net page is a bit more expensive but seems to offer faster connections and doesn't mention any fair use. Anyone know if fair use is valid for so-net?

They don't offer unlimited plans and don't enact fair-use limits so you can use all of your data in one go if you like. Their high speed plans have the same network speed as the other LTE plans on offer from other companies.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Data Sim, So-net 2015/6/5 15:41
Ah :o cheers.
The reason I asked about speed is because econnect told me their speed isn't "full LTE". That it's more along the lines of 3G speed". (For the 3GB data Sim).
And the also have the 360MB per 3 days cap.

If sonet doesn't have daily cap I'll just rent their 3G card.

by MilesVor rate this post as useful

Re: Data Sim, So-net 2015/6/5 15:56
The reason I asked about speed is because econnect told me their speed isn't "full LTE". That it's more along the lines of 3G speed". (For the 3GB data Sim).

That's because it is advertised as a "standard speed" sim rather than a high speed LTE sim.

And the also have the 360MB per 3 days cap.

Any specific reason you need more than 100 mb/day. Generally it's hard to hit that cap without doing a lot of video streaming.

Re: Data Sim, So-net 2015/6/5 16:43
I see, in that case none of the econnect data sims are LTE-speed :( (only the portable hotspots) Pity, because it doesn't need online activation, and you just throw away the chip when you're done. No need to return the chip.

Honestly, chances are I won't need more than 120MB per day. My provider gives me 2GB of free data a month, and I rarely if ever reach it. But I also have wifi at home. My last trip to Japan I went without data sim. Hotel/hostel wifi was pretty bad in general, and free wifi hotspots in cities (Tokyo/Kyoto) for some reason never let my phone connect.

I won't die/my holidays won't be ruined by the lack of an unlimited (daily) data sim ;) Not that addicted.
But if for about the same price range of an econnect "normal speed" 3GB/1month data sim with daily limits, I can get a high-speed LTE 3GB/1month So-net data sim without daily limits and that can also be recharged volume-wise... well, my choice is easily made. Get what I mean?

Re: Data Sim, So-net 2015/6/5 16:45
Besides, I want to upload quite a few foto's and use Skype to stay in touch with my family.

Re: Data Sim, So-net 2015/6/5 17:24
I see, in that case none of the econnect data sims are LTE-speed :( (only the portable hotspots)

That does seem to be the case.

Hotel/hostel wifi was pretty bad in general, and free wifi hotspots in cities (Tokyo/Kyoto) for some reason never let my phone connect.

When did you last travel in Japan. The free wifi networks have been upgraded significantly in the last few years. Also good free wifi and wired lan are virtually ubiquitous these days at hotels except at the cheapest and (ironically) the most expensive places.

But if for about the same price range of an econnect "normal speed" 3GB/1month data sim with daily limits, I can get a high-speed LTE 3GB/1month So-net data sim without daily limits and that can also be recharged volume-wise... well, my choice is easily made. Get what I mean?

Yea, the choice is definitely clear when comparing those two. However I wouldn't count out econnect's 100mb/day plans as they are comparatively cheap while still possibly fulfilling your needs.

Re: Data Sim, So-net 2015/6/5 18:14
I went in october of 2013.
Like, people keep saying public wifi is terrible in Japan... maybe compared to the USA, but compared to Belgium, Tokyo's a lot better.
There's a lot more free wifi hotspots.
A lot of them are marked in English to make it easy for tourists and such. But for some reason, just about every free hotspot failed to let my phone connect while I didn't have issues at hostels or here in Belgium. As if it was blocking my phone.
I didn't even get some login page or w/e; it would simply not connect.

You have a point. The 100meg/day has a pretty good price indeed. I'll mull over whether I want to spend that 1200 yen more or not :S

Thanks a bunch for all the advice, by the way.

reply to this thread